Residents can avoid the hassle of the county court system the next time they have to pay a moving violation ticket. The Washtenaw County Court system created an online payment system for residents last June in order to make the process of paying tickets less of a hassle.

Elyse Kammerer, a Neuroscience graduate student, pays her ticket to cashier Tracy Williams at Ann Arbor City Hall. Due to the implementation of a system allowing citizens to pay tickets online, Kammerer will no longer have to make the trek to city hall to

“It”s a service the court wanted to provide to all residents. We wanted to make it convenient for folks, so that they don”t have to come down here and find a parking spot. It”s a lot easier,” said Scot Cannell, systems manager for the Washtenaw County Court.

Residents are only allowed to pay their tickets online for traffic civil infraction tickets within 20 days of the offense. Such offenses include speeding tickets, pedestrian violations and other specific violations that fall under the jurisdiction of the county courts.

The system is available to all residents through the Washtenaw County website, http://www.co.washtenaw.mi.us. Residents must be able to provide the amount of the ticket, a description of the offense and the citation number in order to process the payment. Users are notified by e-mail when the payments is received by the court.

Many residents are already taking advantage of the system.

“We”re averaging about 50 people per week,” Cannell said.

While residents seem to be enjoying the benefits of the new method, most University students are not familiar with the added convenience. But many students noted that they would have appreciated using the online method when paying previous tickets.

“Online would have been really nice, because I could”ve just used my credit card,” said Engineering sophomore Josh Murnaw.

Several students said they were not surprised that the court decided to allow online methods for paying tickets.

“Everything else is going more and more towards cyberspace these days so why not speeding tickets?” said Journalism Fellow Todd Richmond.