Developers are proposing plans for luxury high-rise student apartment building just steps from central campus.

Ann Arbor-based developer Dan Ketelaar and Bingham Farms-based developer Ron Hughes submitted plans for University Village – a 26-story high-rise complex – to the city’s Planning Commission Wednesday.

The complex would stand on the southeast corner of South University and South Forest avenues, across the street from University Towers.

The several building on the 2-acre parcel, including the Village Corner grocery store, will be torn down to make room for the development.

University Village, which would open by the fall of 2010, would feature two towers of student apartments, a floor of retail space, a courtyard and two parking decks. The 726,000-sqaure-foot complex would have about 500 units, ranging from studios to two and four bedroom suites, and a capacity of about 1,750 residents once completed.

The project’s cost has not been released.

Together the two towers would from a U-shape anchored by a landscaped courtyard and circle drive, according to the plans submitted to the city.

Developers are also considering adding penthouse-style units, said Tracy Koe Wick, a public relations representative for The Kirkwood Group, a firm hired by the developers.

University Village would boast many luxury amenities not offered by on-campus housing.

Proposed amenities include a washer and dryer in every unit, floor-to-ceiling windows, flat-screen televisions, a fitness center and café.

The plans also include parking for about 380 cars and about 300 bicycles.

Security measures are also touted in the proposal. Residents will be issued key cards to gain access to the building and the developers are also considering adding a thumbprint-identification system, Koe Wick said.

Many students, like LSA sophomore Ike Odum, said the complex’s amenities sounded appealing, but expensive.

“What’s the price?” Odum said. “It sounds nice, but it comes down to the price.”

LSA sophomore Allison Hughes said she thought the complex’s parking accommodations “would be great, because it’s impossible to find a parking space in Ann Arbor.”

Resident advisors will live on each floor of the complex.

While some students said they thought RAs would be out of place in a privately-owned building, others said the RAs could be a comforting presence.

Hughes said the RAs would be “more attractive to younger students who are adjusting.”

The complex, which is designed to be eco-friendly, also features a 14,000 square-foot green roof, that would collect and recycle rain water. According to the plans, developers will apply for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design certification.

The LEED program grades buildings on a scale according to criteria including the project’s building materials and its energy efficiency. The proposal is expected to meet the LEED gold standard, the program’s second-highest level.

City officials and the commission will review the proposal and make a recommendation to the city council, which will ultimately approve or deny the project.

Matthew Kowalski, the city planner assigned to the proposal, said in an e-mail interview that a timeline for the review has not been set.

City officials will examine the proposal for compliance with city codes and zoning and will also consider how the building will fit in with the city’s master plan, Kowalski said.

Developers plan to construct the complex’s towers separately in two phases.

– Charles Gregg-Geist and Kojo Asiedu contributed to this report.