AFULA, Israel (AP) Two Palestinians sprayed a bus station and open-air market with gunfire yesterday, killing two Israelis and wounding 14 others before being shot to death. Two U.S. envoys witnessed the immediate aftermath of the attack from the air, flying over Afula in a helicopter tour narrated by Israel”s prime minister.

Later, a Palestinian attacker in Gaza fired at a car and killed an Israeli woman, the military said. Three other Israelis, including a baby, were wounded. Israeli soldiers shot and killed the gunman, Palestinan security and Israeli military sources said.

An Israeli army spokesman said the attacker fired at the convoy and threw grenades. In a faxed message to The Associated Press, the militant Hamas organization took responsibility.

One of the American mediators, retired Marine Corps Gen. Anthony Zinni, said the bloodshed underscored the need for a truce after 14 months of fighting. “A cease-fire is what we need to get to something more comprehensive and lasting,” he said.

Two Palestinian groups Islamic Jihad and the Al Aqsa Brigades linked to Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat”s Fatah movement claimed responsibility for what they said was a joint attack to avenge the targeted killings of Palestinians.

The Palestinian Cabinet issued a statement condemning the two attacks “and all operations targeting Israeli civilians.”

The gunmen were from the Jenin refugee camp in the West Bank, about 10 miles south of Afula. They slipped into Israel, reportedly in a stolen car with Israeli plates, despite a strict security closure of the West Bank and of Jenin in particular. Only a few hours earlier, Israeli troops had withdrawn from areas in Jenin, the last of six West Bank towns Israel partly occupied for several weeks.

At about 11:30 a.m., the gunmen opened fire near the central bus station in Afula. Uri Kalman, a shopowner, said the assailants fired methodically at a traffic light.

“They were firing at the cars, one car, then another car, then another, time after time. There were five cars, all facing different ways. They had nowhere to turn,” Kalman told Israel TV”s Channel Two.