The “oh-no-aliens-have-invaded-the-planet” scenario has been played out thousands of times, and two and a half minutes usually isn’t sufficient for a new contender to make a memorable impression on potential audiences.

“Pacific Rim”

B+
Warner Bros.

But this sneak peek at “Pacific Rim” manages to mildly entice. The music is haunting, and the narrator’s voice is just ominous enough to grab attention. It’s a nice break from that one dude who’s pretty much monopolized the voiceover for this kind of preview.

There’s no big “star” highlighted apart from Guillermo del Toro (“Hellboy II: the Golden Army”), whose body of work as a director, writer and producer speaks for itself — this guy knows how to make a big-screen spectacle and he isn’t afraid to show off.

So, rather than glorifying an all-star cast, the trailer builds up the actual story of an attack from deep beneath the sea and showcases the visual effects, which are awesome. It’s a dazzling display of human controlled super robots as they attempt to defeat an onslaught of savage, dinosaur-like monsters (think “Transformers” vs. “Jurassic Park” on Lance Armstrong-level steroids).

As this first-look concludes, some sort of “rescue mission team captain” screams in a fiery rage, “Today, we are canceling the apocalypse!” Ambitious, right? So is “Pacific Rim” in an attempt to shock and awe with a popular plot line. It’s sure to entertain, especially with a 3-D release during the 2013 summer blockbuster season.