It’s amazing how something that lasts only a minute and a half can provide you with a feeling of enthusiasm and ecstasy that is likely to last for days. It’s amazing how a few clips can catapult you back in time, back when you wished that lightsabers were real, and you thought you could magically move that lamp on your table by focusing your hands and summoning the power of the Force. It’s amazing how a blast of music accompanied by that title card can cause your hair to stand on end, your body to come alive with goosebumps and leave you gasping for breath.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

A+
Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures

The trailer for “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” is, simply put, amazing.

It’s almost the perfect trailer — you don’t really know what’s going on, but you love it and you really want to see the rest of it. Is that R2D2 rolling on the sands of Tatooine? Is that Han Solo’s daughter on that pod? Is that how all the lightsabers are going to look? I don’t know, but I’d sure as hell like to find out.

The trailer is made up of a few teasing clips, which last mere seconds. They inevitably build up to the climax, and what a climax it is. I don’t want to give it away for those who haven’t seen it, but if you’ve seen it, you know what I’m talking about. Holy shit — that was awesome.

If this trailer doesn’t leave your spine tingling with uncontrollable joy and excitement, you have no soul. Just ask Stephen Colbert.