Despite receiving mediocre reviews, “Horrible Bosses” seeks to be anything but horrible. And the film’s leading trio hope moviegoers think the same.

In a recent conference call The Michigan Daily attended, Jason Bateman (“This is Where I Leave You”), Charlie Day (“It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia”) and Jason Sudeikis (“We’re the Millers”) discussed their anticipation for the sequel to their wildly successful “Horrible Bosses.” The first installment focused on the three friends hoping to solve their unfortunate work situations with an extreme solution: killing each other’s bosses. The raucous comedy performed well critically and financially, but is that enough to warrant a sequel?

The stars of the film think so. In the call, they acknowledged the huge financial incentive for a second film, since “Horrible Bosses” grossed about $210 million worldwide.

“You get asked to do sequels when it makes enough money to warrant it, ” Bateman said. “(We were all) certainly open to it … we had such a good time doing the first one.”

Day elaborated on the considerations they made to to endure the sequel would be worth it.

“Creatively, I think we got it to a place where it made sense for us to do it.” Day said.

The sequel certainly has the groundwork for the same raunchy excellence of the first movie. There are some familiar faces, with Jennifer Aniston (“We’re the Millers”) and Jamie Foxx (“Django Unchained”) reprising their roles as sex-crazed dentist Dr. Julia Harris and murder consultant Dean “Motherfucker” Jones, respectively. But the stars’ excitement stemmed from the expansion of the cast to include new villains Chris Pine (“Star Trek Into Darkness”) and two-time Oscar winner Christoph Waltz (“Django Unchained”).

“It’s pretty cool when you can class (a comedy) up with some Oscar winners.” Bateman said. “It becomes a really nice balanced cocktail.”

Sudeikis said, it’s “flattering” for actors to join the series due to the success of the first film. Beyond additions to the cast, Sean Andrew, who directed Sudeikis in “We’re the Millers” took the directorial role over Seth Gordon, the first film’s director.

“Him and his writing partner, John Morris, are … two of the best … scriptwriters, comic writers in … Hollywood right now,” Sudeikis said.

“The film got a little more stylized … and it fits the story,” Day agreed.

And for Bateman he’s yet to work with a horrible boss, despite his fictional experiences then.

“I’m waiting for a real son of a bitch to come my way. I’m prepped,” said Jason Bateman on if he had ever had a horrible boss. Although he neglected to name anyone specific, with “Horrible Bosses 2,” he’s had plenty of fictional experience with them.

These actors are well-versed with the cynicism of the American public and did their best to make a film that would match the expectations moviegoers would have of the funny trio.

“We didn’t want to make a film that was not at least as good as the first film, and we worked really, really hard to attempt to do that,” Bateman said.

“I expect people to be skeptical and I hope that they’re pleasantly surprised,” Day added. “(I’m) hopeful that they’re really going to like it.”