I saw “Gone Girl” with my girlfriend and a colleague from The Michigan Daily, both big fans of the book. Post-showing, the two of them agreed that it was incredibly absorbing and engaging, which I enthusiastically echoed. To me, “Gone Girl” was remarkably well-crafted … with the exception of one scene.

There is one terrible, awful, scene-ruining, tension-breaking, cringe-inducing moment in “Gone Girl,” one that (quite understandably, mind you) neither of my Rave theater comrades noticed.

They fuck up the video game scene.

In one scene, Ben Affleck’s character is shown playing a PlayStation 3 when his wife (Rosamund Pike) walks in the room to speak to him. The camera at one point swings to show the television screen, on which footage of what appears to be Battlefield 3’s (2010) single-player campaign mode is shown. At this point, every hardcore gamer in the audience likely rolled their eyes.

What was the problem? To put it simply, it’s too obvious Affleck’s character is not actually playing a video game. The image on the television screen is clearly not gameplay; it’s pre-rendered footage added in post-production. That’s not inherently problematic. The problem is that with minimal attention and care, I’m entirely positive David Fincher’s team could have made the gameplay footage look realistic. Unfortunately, it will be abundantly clear to experienced gamers that the footage is fake. The biggest indicator is the lack of a HUD (the static onscreen graphics indicating health, ammunition, the map, etc).

How could Fincher’s team, who are known for their mind-bogglingly organized and thoroughly intentional filmmaking, screw this up? It sure seems like they went, “hey, we need game footage for this scene — go see if any game developers will give us money to place their game here.” Call me paranoid, but it seems likely that this highly doctored, HUD-less, cleaned up footage was made to put the game in as best a light as possible, not to make the footage make sense within the scene.

You may say that this is nitpicking to an unfair degree. And you know what? It probably is. The hardcore gaming audience (in other words, the people who will notice this mistake) probably comprises less than one percent of the people who went to see “Gone Girl” in theaters. Everybody else likely understood immediately that Nick was playing a video game and didn’t think much else about it.

But to those of us who noticed, this was a huge immersion-breaking moment. “Gone Girl” is a story that hinges on its believability, and to be suddenly yanked out of the film’s wonderfully constructed world and reminded that you are merely watching a film is a major problem.

This phenomenon of poorly-thought-out video game scenes isn’t limited to “Gone Girl.” It’s a widespread problem in film, and there really hasn’t been much of a conversation about it.

Almost universally, video game scenes involve far too much button clacking for the kind of game that’s being played. They also typically portray the characters swinging around their controllers like lunatics, in an egregious caricature of the way people get frustrated with games in real life. Usually, these scenes are played for humor, or a throwaway vertical slice of average life, nothing more. Even “Her,” one of the savviest movies about futuristic technology ever, prominently featured projections of video games that any hardcore gamer would dismiss as a highly unlikely and unrealistic view of gaming’s future.

So, filmmakers — as one of the obnoxious one percent of people who will be put off by the lazy portrayal of video games in film, I implore you:

Do your homework.