Placing third on NBC’s “The Voice” in 2012, touring with Adam Levine and Kelly Clarkson in 2013 and currently preparing for the release of his 8th studio album, Tony Lucca has bounced from one end of the country to the next on his lifelong musical excursion, and now he’s taking a pit stop at the place where it all began. Before venturing off to Los Angeles to perform with the greats on “The Mickey Mouse Club” — Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake, Christina Aguilera, etc. — Lucca spent his adolescence growing up in the Detroit area. Sunday, the singer will play at Detroit’s Magic Stick with opening act Honor By August.

Tony Lucca

November 23
8:00 p.m.

Magic Stick, Detroit

Though Lucca was born and raised here in the Midwest, moving out west to LA and recently down south to Nashville has given the singer a multitude of influences to draw from.

“They’ve all had exceptional impacts on my career,” Lucca said in an interview with The Michigan Daily. “But it’d probably be easy for me to say Nashville (was most influential) just because within my first year being down there I’ve been working at a much stronger level. I’m only bummed I didn’t get down there sooner.”

Lucca’s writing has recently stepped up its real-talk. With his most recent EP release, Drawing Board — the precursor to his upcoming full length album — the singer has taken his music in for a long confession session.

“They’re very honest songs,” Lucca said. “It’s probably the most honest release I’ve had yet. Getting ready to make a full length album, I was trying to consider songs that would all fit together and I had this small handful of tunes that really just seemed to fit nicely.”

Lucca is looking forward to highlighting these tracks in his show at The Magic Stick. The acclaimed Detroit venue has hosted shows by The White Stripes, Jack Johnson, Kings of Leon, Modest Mouse and Childish Gambino. Tough acts to follow are no pressure for Lucca, however. The singer proved that performing in front of the masses (including the watchful eyes of Adam Levine, Blake Shelton, CeeLo Green and Christina Aguilera) is no reason to falter, even during the most virtuosic of performances.

Lucca’s opener, Honor By August, has previously opened for acts ranging from Bon Jovi to Imagine Dragons. The group has yet to play a show in Detroit, but the band’s frontman Michael Pearsall says the city’s fans are in for the perfect musical combination.

“(Tony and I) are friends, and there usually winds up being a little bit of collaboration onstage, which is something I think the fans really enjoy,” Pearsall said. “Especially when you’re on tour with another act that you get along with, you’re more excited to play and you kind of inspire each other to get out there and give it your all.”

Lucca and Pearsall both currently reside in Nashville and are sure to bring their Music City mindset up to the Motor City for this Sunday’s show.

Doors open at 8 p.m. and tickets are available through www.ticketweb.com and www.majesticdetroit.com.