Content Nausea by Parquet Courts
A-
Content Nausea
What’s Your Rupture?

“Content Nausea”

A-
Parquet Courts
What’s Your Rupture

“Too much data, too much tension/too much plastic, too much glass.” This lyric, and others alike, reflect the highly cynical and awesomely angry nature of Parquet Court’s first single off their recent surprise project, Content Nausea. Still maintaining a garage band sound that leaves everyone a little more nostalgic for ’90s rock, the song is undeniably an admonishment of our modern world. Excess and sensory overload are its themes — both lyrically and sonically.

Like a deliciously cynical alternative-rock version of Billy Joel’s “We Didn’t Start the Fire,” lead singer Andrew Savage spurts out stream of consciousness lyrics for the entirety of the ballad. Beginning with a heavy discussion on the constant communication caused by the glut of modern technology, Savage vacillates between issues. His pressured speech moves into another modern admonishment, singing “Overpopulated by nothing, crowded by sparseness/ Guided by darkness, too much, not enough.” Here, these punk artists have some valid complaints for the modern age: stop focusing on quantity over quality.

Sonically, the song is guided by the perfect marriage of drums and guitar. The guitar plants an underlying consistency and, in juxtaposition to the slightly depressing lyrics, upbeat sound before transitioning into a bluesy, more controlled solo at the song’s end. Mildly reminiscent of the string section of the finale of Rossini’s William Tell Overture, the drums remain jittery and intentionally muddled before descending with their guitar partner. Lightly muddled by the exhaustive complaints of the lead singer, undeniable skill and perfect collaboration keeps the song succinct.

Parquet Courts’ music catalog to date contains a punk, garage rock sound that has been largely missing in the past decade of produced music. With this intense manifesto against the general disarray of the millennials and the horrors that a comment section of a website can produce, this song is no exception. These Brooklyn boys are working to keep the angsty ’90s sound alive while Pavement is away.