According to the cool kids, Facebook may now be obsolete, but that doesn’t mean it’s any less useful for advertisers. If you have one, chances are you’ve seen a recent video shared over and over featuring five young girls in princess costumes dropping F-bombs and facts about gender inequality in the same breath.

This advertisement created by the for-profit clothing company FCKH8, is called “F-Bombs for Feminism: Potty-Mouthed Princesses Use Bad Word for Good Cause,” and begins with the girls smiling innocently at the camera, dreamily cooing the word “pretty” over a fairytale-esque harp musical loop. Then the music stops, there’s an abrupt record scratch, and an indignant “What the fuck?!” from the youngest of the girls. What follows is a bunch of pithy, quotable lines about things that are, as the youngest of the girls proudly chirps, “more fucked up than the word ‘fuck.’ ” The girls cover issues ranging from pay inequality, society’s focus on women’s appearances and sexual assault statistics — and of course, the lines are peppered with frequent gleeful usages of the word ‘fuck.’

I have a lot of feelings about this video.

Once I watched it, I could tell exactly why it had gone viral. At first glance, it seems like a perfect, edgy way to grab people’s attention about gender inequality. Little girls fighting sexism in princess costumes? Yes. Outraged rants of social conservatives horrified by the curse words rolling off these kids’ tongues that we can laugh at in the comments section on YouTube and Facebook? Yes. People sharing the video to promote discussion about ending pay inequality and violence against women? Yes.

The problem is FCKH8 knew how shareable this video would be, relying specifically on these reasons. The advertisement purports to be socially conscious by showing how ridiculous our shock at little kids using curse words is compared to blatant occurrences of sexism in society that should shock us more. But this video is still first and foremost an advertisement; its primary function isn’t to spread awareness about gender inequality but to sell T-shirts. In relying on the shock value of the girls’ cursing and their recitations of facts they don’t understand, FCKH8 is just exploiting them — and they’ve been getting a lot of backlash on the Internet for that reason.

The video itself feels uncomfortably, abrasively gimmicky. The girls themselves are funny and expressive, but the poor directing choices are obvious in the overly sassy — there really is no other word to describe them — gestures and voice inflections of the girls, something that seems counterintuitive. It seems to encourage girls watching it that cursing and sassy body language are good ways to argue about serious, nuanced issues.

The worst part of the video is after one of the girls says, “One out of five women will be sexually assaulted or raped by a man,” the girls count off slowly, “one, two, three, four, five.” One of them then looks into the camera with innocent eyes and says shrugging, “which one of us will it be?” There’s no feeling in their eyes as they breezily rattle off these rape statistics — and why should there be? They are between the ages of six and 13; I’m not saying they don’t understand what rape is yet, but their level of knowledge about the topic clearly didn’t matter to the writers of the advertisement, and that feels cheap. They’ve learned their lines from a script, which they/their families have been paid to memorize, solely because FCKH8 knew that this kind of video would explode on social media. Having little kids recite lines about topics such as these, especially rape, seems tacky and uncouth at best, exploitative at worst.

As the video wraps up with one of the girls saying emphatically, “fuck that sexist shit” (which is one of my favorite go-to ways to end a conversation), I have to say I think there were a couple good take-aways from this video, despite the glaring mistakes. Toward the end, there’s a boy in a princess dress who directly addresses the guys who might be watching: “Bro, when you tell a boy it’s bad to act ‘like a girl’ it’s because you think it’s bad to be a girl.” This is an important point, vaguely reminiscent of the #LikeaGirl advertisement created by the company Always, in which people of various ages and genders are told on camera to do certain actions “like a girl.” The boys, men and adolescent girls in the video all mime running, throwing and hitting in over-the-top silly, weak and ditzy ways, laughing as they do so — the prepubescent girls all complete their actions completely seriously.

“F-Bombs for Feminism: Potty-Mouthed Princesses Use Bad Word for Good Cause,” is just the latest to hit the upward trend of advertisements that are aimed specifically at women and girls, including other viral hits like Dove’s “Real Beauty” campaign and Verizon’s “Inspire Her Mind.” FCKH8’s video ended up being more of a miss than a hit, but it’s worth having a couple misses — as long as we recognize them as such — if they bring more attention to important issues.