Walking into the basement of 420 S. Division St., you duck your head to avoid hitting it on the top of the doorway. At the bottom of the stairs, you find yourself in a dark room, illuminated only by a film projected on the stone wall and a light fixture in the corner.

Walking closer to the film, created by Art & Design senior Hanna Sakakibara, you see different forms of light flitting on screen. You’re watching the screen, but you’re hearing music from School of Music, Theatre & Dance junior Isaac Levine, DJing his performance piece in the next room.

You then mosey over to the lamp, realizing that it is in fact, part of the exhibit. It’s a laser cut, acrylic piece by Art & Design sophomore Zach Kolodziej. It almost looks like a crepe paper ball that you hang from the ceiling at birthday parties. Its mixture of pink and white shades give off a purple-y hue.

On Friday Helicon will be presenting Luminosity, a student-curated student art show, from 9 p.m. to midnight.

This is the third annual art show for Helicon, the history of art undergraduate society at the University. LSA senior Isabella Achenbach, president of Helicon and a former Michigan Daily staff member, said the club aims to bring more attention to student art and allow viewers to have more conversations about the pieces.

“The goal is for people to come and actually see what other students are working on,” Achenbach said. “There are so many people on this campus that their work — so much of it just goes unseen. People do work, they submit it for a grade, and then it’s done.”

When you turn your head to see if the lamp is hiding more colors on the other side, the corner of your eye catches a glimpse into the next room of the basement, and you find yourself passing through an open doorway into a slightly larger square room. Here, you find Levine DJing.

This is the second year Helicon has had the show in an off-campus house. While Achenbach said the club is working towards getting a more secure and professional gallery space for the spring, she also said she appreciates the accessibility of an off-campus location.

“Doing it in an off-campus house makes it so much more accessible to students,” she said. “People, to be honest, really aren’t that inclined to go to something on campus, in a campus building where you have to be out of it by like 9 p.m. It’s not that fun.”

Moving through the second basement room, you notice a very small room on the far side. You go inside, overcome with curiosity. You find yourself surrounded by fog, projected images swirling all around you, playing a cat and mouse game with the smoke. It’s an installation piece by Art & Design junior Jay Moskowitz. You can still hear the music from Levine; you can see Moskowitz’s images; you can touch the fog.

Achenbach said she feels a student art show is so important because art is indicative of the culture of the time. While Helicon is an art history club, part of art history is studying current trends.

“Art is culture. It’s education. It’s communication. It’s an experience,” she said.

Coming back out of the basement, you make your way around to the front of the house. You go in the front door to find a jazz band ensemble playing to the photos and paintings hung on the walls.

The first piece you see is by LSA freshman and Helicon member Olivia Kinker. Keeping with the luminosity theme, it’s a drawing of a chair illuminated by a lamp in her dorm in East Quad.

“When you turn off all the other lights, it’s just this focused light on this chair,” Kinker said. “I was looking around for things to draw, and I saw that image with the chair. I’d left a sweater on it, and it looked like this image of my life right then.”

Further along, there’s a photo by LSA sophomore Cellik Adams. It’s a simple shot of the most recent full moon; a moon Adams said symbolized a changing time and a stepping-stone in his life.

“Every full moon — I take it as a new beginning,” he said. “There’s a new month, new time, new period.”

You see a painting from Art & Design sophomore Mia Massimino: a lamp sitting in the middle of a desk, surrounded by perfume and pictures, with jewelry hanging over its shade. There’s a digital print of chandeliers from LSA senior Rachel Cole, the fixtures in varying shades of yellow. Then you spot a three-photo series by LSA sophomore Eliza Cadoux.

The series, titled “dzef,” which means “truly, really or extremely” in Arabic, features three black and white photos taken in Morocco in 2013. Cadoux said the photos all represent aspects of her time in Morocco that she is grateful for.

“They’re three black and white photographs that were taken in an extremely colorful place,” she said. “Black and white photos, in this day and age, become interesting ways to think about memory and the textures and pigments that are lost over time, and how even experiences so vivid as my time there lose dimensions.”

The first photo is a shot from the Atlas Mountains, looking down into the Sous Valley.

“It encompasses an awareness of the land and the physicality of the country, instead of the cultural implications one often thinks of when traveling and experiencing new culture,” said Cadoux.

The second photo is of a donkey, and Cadoux said it captured the essence of the farm work she was doing while in the country.

The third photo features the matriarch of the family Cadoux was staying with.

“She was absolutely terrifying, and she had this enormous presence,” she said. “I managed to take a photo of her lounging, and to me that was really the pinnacle of experiencing an entirely different cultural realm.”

You turn around, retracing your steps out of the house. You pass by Achenbach on the way out, and she thanks you for coming. You tell her how much you enjoyed the show. She asks you what your favorite part was, and you dive into a pleasant exchange with her before heading on your way.

With student artists as the celebrities of this exhibit, Helicon’s Luminosity aims to present just that — the brightness of the stars.