University Police want your phone number, but don’t worry — you’re not in trouble.

On Friday, the University will conduct a test of the University’s Emergency Alert system, which is designed to notify students, faculty and staff of emergencies on campus via text message, phone call or e-mail. Before Friday’s test, public safety officials are encouraging individuals to register for the alerts.

The system warns of significant emergencies, including tornado warnings, hazardous material spills, bomb threats and active shooters on campus.

The University automatically registers all faculty, staff and student University e-mail addresses for e-mail alerts. Individuals are encouraged to sign up for voice and text message notifications so they are immediately informed of emergencies even without e-mail access.

Despite the importance of the EAS, only 33 percent of the student body, or 17,000 students, are registered for alerts beyond e-mail, DPS spokeswoman Diane Brown said. Additionally, only 37 percent of faculty and staff, or 26,000 people, are registered for text and voice alerts.

To receive the alerts, students, faculty and staff should visit the Wolverine Access website and click on “U-M Emergency Alerts.” In order to be included in Friday’s test, individuals must be registered in the system by no later than 7 p.m. Thursday evening.

Brown particularly pushed text and voice alert registration as they are the most immediate response methods in case of emergency.

When universities throughout he East Coast were threatened by Superstorm Sandy earlier this week, many universities used similar systems to alert their campus communities.

The University of Pennsylvania used the UPennAlert Emergency Notification System to send university-wide text messages and e-mails warning students of the impending storm.

Similarly, Princeton University utilized its Princeton Telephone and E-mail Notification System to warn students of the storm, according to the Daily Princetonian.

“Once severe weather begins, travel may be extremely hazardous, ill-advised or impossible,” an alert sent to Princeton students stated. “High winds, power outages, fallen trees, downed power lines and flooding are very possible.”

Other institutions, such as American University, used social media websites such as Facebook and Twitter to inform their students of necessary precautions in preparation for Sandy.

AU also created a resource page for students with updates on building closings and other instructions.

Though a hurricane will likely never impact Ann Arbor, the Emergency Alert System has been used to prepare individuals for a potential tornado. In the event of a tornado warning, the Emergency Alert System alerts students, faculty and staff of the approximate time and proximity of the tornado, and encourages users when to find shelter.

In March, the University activated the system to warn students of a tornado that ravaged Dexter, Mich. Ann Arbor was near the tornado’s path. The system sent four different messages detailing developments regarding the storm.

Brown emphasized that the Emergency Alert System is only used in dire situations, which does not include tornado watches, thunderstorms, blizzards or other forms of severe weather.

Engineering junior Lucas Liuzzo said he has signed up for the alerts and appreciates the speed at which he receives important information for his safety.

“In case anything happens I would like to know quickly,” Liuzzo said.