Alecia Moore, better known as pop/rock star P!nk, and Dallas Green, better known as City and Colour, have come together as You+Me and created an eye-opening folk album, rose ave. Considering the recent obsession with EDM, many might not consider themselves fans of folk, but after listening to Moore and Green’s harmonious duets, music fans will be begging for less bass and auto-tune and more banjos.

rose ave.

B+
You+Me
RCA

Following years of friendship, Moore and Green finally found themselves with open schedules this past March and began to work together on a track or two. Somehow, they ended their short time together with an entire album. But, their lack of time spent on the record did not sacrifice an ounce of quality.

“Capsized” opens the album with haunting vocals overlaying a single guitar beat, leaving listeners humming its chorus long after the album is over. What follows the opening, though, is no less impactful. Each track brings out a different hue of emotion.

“From a Closet in Norway,” poses questions about life, before “Gently” can lull listeners into a state of comfort. But on the emotional rollercoaster that is rose ave, that comfort only lasts as long as the track. You+Me quickly move on to the most memorable break-up ballad in recent history. “Love Gone Wrong,” captures the emotional back-and-forth of the end of a relationship, even more so than “Just Give Me a Reason,” a number one from P!nk’s previous solo album. It pays respect to the fact that no one is blameless, and stylistically conveys the message gracefully through the unified climax.

The album moves from the dynamics of a break-up to the dynamics of love with “You and Me.” What’s so special about the track is how it captures the essence of all types love. It isn’t written distinctly for a lover; it can be applied to friendship or family. Even more important than love itself, the song emphasizes the importance of being in tandem with others. It’s no wonder why this song coincides with the duos stage name: It captures the essence of their entire musical style.

After a few forgettable tracks, the violin of “Break the Cycle” brings the record back to life. A song written for P!nk’s mother, “Break the Cycle,” is another emotional climax, and will resonate with anyone on some level. The album’s closer, “No Ordinary Love,” juxtaposes slow verses with a heart-wrenching chorus, solidifying that this is no ordinary record.

Moore and Green have produced a folk album capable of eliciting emotions listeners did not know they contained. While there is a handful of filler tracks, You+Me’s vocal harmony and minimalist approach piece together a folk album which may bring the genre back to pop culture.