For Daniel Lurie — the CEO and founder of Tipping Point Community, an organization that works to fight poverty in the San Francisco Bay Area — considering innovative ways of helping those in need helps can strengthen philanthropic efforts.

Lurie spoke to students in Weill Hall’s Annenberg Auditorium on Tuesday about the notion of a “new philanthropy” approach to alleviating poverty. Under Lurie’s unique method, the board of the Tipping Point Community underwrites all operating and fundraising costs for grant-receiving organizations so that donor funds are going directly towards the effort to fight poverty and not to balance budgets.

Lurie was invited to speak to students as part of the Social Innovation Series sponsored by the University’s Nonprofit and Public Management Center, which profiles people who have crossed boundaries to provide innovative solutions for society’s challenges.

“We’re hoping to spread the message of Tipping Point and this issue of fighting poverty is a really important and critical one not only for the Bay Area but for our country,” Lurie said. “The more we can get this type of model out there in different cities across the country, the better.”

Lurie said he was pleased with the participation and interest of students during his visit to the University.

“The students at Michigan blew me away. The fact that we have these institutions teaching non-profit management, it’s a real important development for this country and it’s an honor to come speak here,” Lurie said.

Rishi Moudgil, the managing director of the NPM Center, said throughout the series, speakers will be available to share their stories, and hold workshops for students in their areas of expertise.

“This is the first speaker in our series for the year,” Moudgil said. “Daniel is obviously coming in and talking about his work with Tipping Point, but we also have a panel, a workshop, an opportunity to meet with students, a classroom visit, so that we cannot only hear words, but get into how things work.”

Moudgil said Lurie’s presentation would teach students about the different ways philanthropy is implemented today.

“We know our students will be inspired by his story, just being a young philanthropist, and making a really big change in his community,” Moudgil said. “That’s important, to get exposure to folks like that here.”

Public Policy graduate student Colleen Campbell said she attended to learn about different ways to contribute to philanthropic organizations.

“Mr. Lurie’s model is pretty different from traditional philanthropy, so I am kind of interested in bringing that model to colleges and universities and see how that can be sustainable,” Campbell said. “But also see how as a young person, how I, can contribute to philanthropy.”

Public Policy graduate student Imah Effiong said her past experiences with nonprofits peaked her interest in Lurie’s speech.

“I’m just really interested in various interesting strategies that are coming out of the sector right now, so I know when I graduate from here what are some of the tools I can use to run my own non-profit one day,” Effiong said.

Public Policy graduate student Matt Papadopoulos, a member of the center’s student advisory board who spoke with Lurie prior to his speech, said Lurie was an appealing speaker to hear from.

“Dan Lurie is a very engaging individual, he’s young and he’s vibrant and he’s excited about this space, and that’s very easy to recognize when you start speaking with him,” Papadopoulos said.