Right from the off, the trailer for Alejandro González Iñárritu’s (“Biutiful”) next film, “Birdman” hits you. It’s brazen, bold and you can’t take your eyes off it. Everything – the visuals, dialogues and premise – arrests your attention and you just know that this is going to be a fantastic movie.

Birdman

A
Fox Searchlight Pictures

Michael Keaton (“Need for Speed”) goes a little meta, playing a character famous for playing a superhero in the recent past. Desperate to break away from the shackles that his on-screen alter-ego has held him in, he attempts to make a fresh start by writing, directing and starring in a Broadway play. Is it going to be easy?

Hell, no.

The trailer does a great job of building up the struggles of a type-cast actor. No one is a friend — Reporters mock him for his reputation as a “washed up comic strip character” and his own daughter tells him he doesn’t matter. To make things worse, he’s locked in an internal conflict with his alter-ego, who seems to be an actual part of the actor as the trailer progresses, accusing him of trying to be something he’s not. The close up shots, the music and the glimpses of various dramatic moments build up the tension superbly, and the shades of dark humor are a perfect for the somber, yet absurd feel of the film.

The trailer is unusually long and viewers may walk away with a better idea of the movie than they should have, but there’s no denying that this is a great trailer. Michael Keaton is back as a superhero — you don’t want to miss this.