Imagine this: You’ve smoked a barrel of marijuana, are about to settle in for a comedy show and just as the back of your pants sink into wooden chairs, you get smacked across the face with what might be the worst (or best) high of your life. You see everything in doubles. Instead of a single mic stand, two. Instead of two hecklers in the back row, a quartet of assholes screaming idiocy at the stage. Instead of one comedian, twins. But they aren’t just mirror images, not just identical reflections parroting indistinguishable bits. They’re completing each other’s sentences. They have different facial expressions. One delivers the setup while the other swoops in with a punchline. Then they switch around.

“The Purple Urkle Tour w/ The Lucas Bros.”

Sunday, October 12
Mark Ridley’s Comedy Castle
$18

The Lucas Brothers — Kenny and Keith — aren’t a hallucination. As a comedy duo that has been performing stand-up together for five years, the identical twins claim they’ve, in fact, known each other much longer. The pair sat down for a phone interview with The Michigan Daily to discuss their career and upcoming performance.

“We just always liked each other, I guess,” Kenny said. “When we were kids, I remember we’d play together all the time or just do homework, so when I started going to open-mics during college, it felt natural to eventually have him on stage with me. He’s a nice guy.”

“I am,” Keith said.

After those initial forays into performance, both brothers decided to drop out of law school to pursue comedy as a full-time career. A stretch of struggle followed, but appearances on “Late Night with Jimmy Fallon” along with Comedy Central’s online series, “The Super Late Morning Show,” led to wider recognition. Fast forward to 2014 and the duo have their own series, “Lucas Bros. Moving Co.,” on FOX’s animation block, a weekly sketch show, “Friends of the People,” set to premiere on TruTV on Oct. 28 and now, are bringing their unique double threat stand-up to the Comedy Castle in Royal Oak on Sunday.

Of course, none of that includes their scene-stealing turn as the Yang twins in this summer’s “22 Jump Street” alongside the likes of Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum.

“It’s going well,” Kenny said. “One of the best things about being a part of all these projects is how much stuff we’ve been able to pick up from the people we’ve worked with. We’re really, really fortunate to have all these other comedians here to get high with us.”

The tour, dubbed “Purple Urkel,” is a collection of the Lucas’ mellowed-out, stoner jokes — usually delivered in seamless transitions from one brother to the other — with a chunk of freshly-penned (smoked) hilarity thrown in.

Yet it’s worth noting that a couple of potheads holding a mic can only get so far … What makes the Lucas Bros. the Lucas Bros. is a propensity to tackle surrealist material tinged with biting satire, as is evidenced in every episode of their animated series, but to do so in a way that keeps them grounded — like tripping out, but tripping out with the philosophy majors living in the dorm room across the hall.

“I think we’ve been blazed literally every single minute we’ve been writing season two of ‘Moving Co.’ ” Keith said. “And people don’t realize those characters on screen every week are literally as close as you can get to Real Life Us … Just we don’t move furniture around.”

“A lot of weed,” Kenny concurred. “A lot of weed.”

But the two brothers steer clear of the marijuana before going on stage.

“We did a show once where it was required that we smoke pot before coming on,” Keith said. “I think that’s the highest I’ve ever been while doing comedy.”

“It wasn’t funny in the least, actually.” Kenny added. “I don’t remember how many minutes of us straight up rambling in front of strangers.”

Though the duo isn’t appearing at the University, they visited Ann Arbor while looking at different law schools. And after committing to a career in comedy, the tendency to perform near college towns comes in part from wanting to do shows for an age demographic similar to their own, yet also a general gravitation toward a marijuana-addled atmosphere.

“Get high. Come out,” Kenny said. “It’ll be a great show.”