I love Tina Belcher. I often feel like I am Tina Belcher. Like Tina, my crotch occasionally itches, I have an affinity for boys’ butts and would betray my own blood to be in a musical of “Working Girl.”

Bob’s Burgers

B+
FOX
Sundays at 7:30 p.m.

“Work Hard or Die Trying, Girl,” the season five premiere of “Bob’s Burgers,” isn’t really about Tina, but the Belcher’s musically inclined middle child, Gene. It’s not that I don’t like Gene — Gene’s fine. He’s the loud-mouthed, pop-culture savvy brother I sometimes wish I had — and voiced by Eugene Mirman to boot.

But I don’t really love Gene — at least not enough to get enthused about entire episodes being devoted to him. And not just any episode, a musical episode.

It shouldn’t be the case, but musical episodes — of any show, be it animated or one with real, live, breathing people — strike me as a cop out, because for whatever reason, people love watching other people sing sort of funny songs. It’s a guarantee for laughs that shouldn’t be guaranteed at all. In actuality, they probably take double the work and effort of an average episode. Writing songs that can weave a cohesive and funny narrative probably takes up a lot of time. I realize that I’m wrong, but I still largely hate musical episodes (I say largely because the one “Even Stevens” musical episode was, and is to this day, on point).

“Work Hard” isn’t about one, but two battling musicals. As the Belchers argue with Gene’s ex-girlfriend Courtney and her father in Principal Frond’s office, we’re treated with flashbacks detailing the competition between Gene’s idea for the school musical (one based on the movie “Die Hard”) and Courtney’s (based on the movie “Working Girl”). Courtney’s father promises that if her musical is chosen Carly Simon will show up on opening night. She doesn’t, but even the unlikelihood of the gesture is enough to sell the school on going with “Working Girl: The Musical,” which is rightfully stocked with big hair and shoulder pads.

Thanks to his conniving younger sister Louise, Gene is encouraged to take his “Die Hard” musical underground — literally — in the school’s boiler room where he will put on a one-man guerrilla performance the same time as “Working Girl” ’s opening night.

Despite the complete lack of burgers (the entire episode is restricted to the confines of Wagstaff), the gang is mostly all here. Linda sings in the joint “Die Hard/Working Girl” musical at the end, the entire Pesto family is present, from Jimmy Pesto to the twins, and even Daryl (Aziz Ansari, “Parks and Recreation”) shows up to help Gene out with his production.

Gene is no Tina, but “Work Hard” is full of Gene quips and unhealthy albeit hilarious knowledge of “Die Hard” specificities that shine through his performance reminding you why he’s a valuable personality within the Belcher clan in the first place.

As for the musicals, the episode doesn’t end up being as much of a musical episode as it is an episode about musicals — musical adaptations of 1988 movies to be much more specific. The songs do have their moments though, and in true “Bob’s Burgers” fashion, they’re as off-beat and charming as always.

Despite my preconceptions, “Work Hard” turned out and laid down a solid foundation for a season full of Belcher mischief and unconventional yet endearing antics.