The Ann Arbor Police Department released further information on Monday afternoon regarding an alleged rape that occurred on Hill Street early Sunday morning.

AAPD Lt. Renee Bush confirmed in an interview Monday that the report is being classified by AAPD as first-degree criminal sexual conduct, as it was initially reported to the University’s Department of Pubic Safety.

An 18-year old student told DPS she was approached by four unknown men on Hill Street between Church Street and Tappan Avenue at about 2:30 a.m. The men dragged her into an alley, where she told police one of the men raped her before she was able to escape.

The suspects are described as four white males with brown hair. Bush said the student told police she did not know any of the suspects.

The student said she was attacked after she decided to walk home because a taxi she called for after leaving a party took too long to arrive, according to Bush.

DPS spokeswoman Diane Brown said in an interview Monday that the student initially reported the incident to residence hall staff, who notified DPS.

The alleged location of the incident is near the Ross School of Business, East Quad Residence Hall and several fraternities and sororities. DPS sent out a crime alert at about 6:25 a.m. Sunday, before it turned the case over to the Ann Arbor Police Department after determining that the alleged crime occurred across the street from campus, in AAPD jurisdiction.

Bush said the student was taken to the University Hospital by DPS on Sunday, but the extent of her injuries, if any, could not be confirmed as of Monday afternoon. She said AAPD detectives are actively investigating the case.

Ten rapes were reported on and off campus in 2011, according to the annual DPS crime report. Those incidents are among a total of 21 sexual assaults reported in 2011. Since June, six crime alerts have been sent out regarding alleged instances of sexual assault.

Story updated: This story was updated at 7 p.m. Monday with further information.