The No. 23 Michigan women’s swimming and diving team split Saturday with Northwestern and No. 21 Notre Dame. The Wolverines outscored the Wildcats 192-108, but lost to the Fighting Irish 185-115.

Drenched with first-place finishers, Notre Dame set five NCAA B standards, broke two pool records and won 11 of 16 races. Michigan seniors Deirdre Jones and Adrienne Bicek were able to sneak in a pair of victories for the Wolverines when Jones won the 100-yard freestyle with a time of 51.18 and Bicek finished her 500-yard freestyle in 4:54.04.

Though Michigan wasn’t able to match Notre Dame’s speed, the Wolverines did finish second in six of their races. Junior Angela Chokran took two second-place finishes, clocking in at 1:02.53 and 2:16.95 in the 100- and 200-yard breaststroke, respectively.

Chokran was also involved in one of the more surprising and notable races that took place. In the 200-yard medley relay, Chokran, freshman Ali DeLoof, senior Ashley Cohagen and freshman Zoe Mattingly secured a second-place finish for the Michigan ‘B’ team. They had a final mark of 1:42.53, putting them 1.15 seconds ahead of the Michigan ‘A’ team and a mere .04 seconds behind first-place finisher Notre Dame.

DeLoof also had an impressive showing in the 100-yard breaststroke. She swam a 55.86, landing her a solid second-place finish. Other notables were freshman Marni Oldershaw — runner up in the 200-yard butterfly, sophomore Michelle Stefandl who finished second in the 1,000-yard freestyle with a time of 10:12.61 and sophomore Claudia Lau, who finished third behind DeLoof in the 100-yard breaststroke.

After Saturday’s events, the Wolverines are now 2-2 in the Big Ten and 2-4 overall. They will face the Buckeyes at home in Canham Natatorium this Friday, Jan. 18.