Five years ago, the combination of Katy Perry — at that point a budding pop superstar and teen idol — and Juicy J, a member of the then-fading legendary rap crew Three 6 Mafia, was as hilarious as it was unimaginable. In the past five years, however, things have changed. Perry has ascended to the top of pop music, competing only with Rihanna and Lady GaGa, while Juicy J has reinvented himself with an explosion of a solo career with the help of Wiz Khalifa.

Katy Perry ft. Juicy J

A-
“Dark Horse”
Capitol

Perry’s most recent offering from her upcoming third album, PRISM, “Dark Horse” features Juicy J and succeeds as an unexpected and bold foray by Perry into a genre that will soon become familiar to the American public: trap. Produced by Dr. Luke and Max Martin — frequent Perry collaborators and the biggest hit-makers of the past five years — “Dark Horse” is a slow-burning, sultry escapade that has Perry singing, “Make me your Aphrodite / make me your one and only,” culminating in a dirty, bass-shaking, trap-heavy drop that is sure to make its rounds at clubs for months to come.

Juicy, for his part, does an admirable job. His usually vulgar lyrics have been toned down significantly, but he still manages to include a reference to Jeffrey Dahmer eating hearts. He and Perry have surprisingly good chemistry; Perry has a knack for collaborating with rappers, such as Kanye West, Snoop Dogg and Missy Elliott, and though “Dark Horse” won’t impact the charts like “Roar,” it’s an encouraging sign that PRISM will pack more than a few surprises.