She rocks out with Joan Jett, raps with Wiz Khalifa, gets weird with Wayne Coyne and, of course, slays the pop game through her solo ventures. All of this while rallying for homeless LGBTQ youth on the side. Miley Cyrus is a rockstar, without a doubt, and her unreleased, now leaked, track “Nightmare” cements that notion.

Nightmare

A+
Miley Cyrus
RCA Records

It’s been almost two years since “Wrecking Ball” wrecked the charts, and while “Nightmare” isn’t even a legitimate single, it has the same potential. The opening strums lead into the first chorus featuring infectious echoes at the tail end of each lyric. Each line builds upon the next, bringing listeners higher and higher in Cyrus’s dreamscape. Finally, once she has raised you as high as she can, she drops you over the cliff in typical nightmare style. The chorus transcends any expectations. It’s as if she is doing pop better than anyone in recent history has. She exudes more emotion that Swift on 1989, she’s catchier than the queen of catch, Katy Perry and the beat is reminiscent of Kelly Clarkson circa “Since You Been Gone” (another Dr. Luke production) with added dimension. Beyond that, the track finds the perfect balance of passion and heartbreak. It’s a scream-in-your-car-with-the-windows-down jam on the surface, while lyrically, it is an emotional pit. It is that miscommunication between lyricism and production that make it work as well as it does.

For the first time in history, this is the first nightmare we won’t want to wake up from. Miley’s next album, described as weird, is sure to be another game changer, and “Nightmare” will have to suppress the Miley appetite until her next LP arrives. Until then, I will have this song on repeat and will be defending Miley against all the mothers on Facebook who talk shit.

http://brieflybeardedharmony.tumblr.com/post/121124404401/nightmare-full-version-by-miley-cyrus