Spring break forever, bitches.

If you’re at all aware of the film “Spring Breakers,” written and directed by Harmony Korine (“Trash Humpers”), then you’ve probably heard those words at least a dozen times in its trailers and promotional videos. Korine, famous for supposedly flipping off director Larry Clark upon first meeting, then writing the script for Clark’s film “Kids” in three weeks, explores this (in)famous tradition in his latest project. So, why “Spring Breakers?” Why now? And, at the end, will you really want spring break to go on forever (bitches)?

“I felt like I needed to make (the movie) just because I liked the storyline, and I liked the characters; it was a world I wanted to explore. Is it a reflection? … I think it’s connected to youth culture in some way,” Korine said in a conference call with The Michigan Daily on March 25.

“But at the same time, it’s — it was never meant to be a kind of documentary or an exposé on something … It’s something that’s more like a pop poem, or almost like the real world but pushed into something more kind of — I don’t know — hyper-poetic. And it is kind of — it works on its own logic … it’s connected to the culture, and maybe there’s a zeitgeist in some way. But it’s also something separate.”

Star Ashley Benson (TV’s “Pretty Little Liars”) joined Korine in discussing the film. Benson, a four-year vet of the ABC Family hit explained that her role as Brit in “Spring Breakers” is a step forward for her career, as she sheds her innocent “PLL” persona to portray a much edgier character.

“I feel like people have just seen me in a certain way for such a long time,” Benson said. “And I really wanted to do a film where I was different from anything I’ve ever done. I read Harmony’s script, and it was exactly what I wanted to do. I liked how edgy it was; I liked how different it was. I wanted a chance to work with Harmony, to work with James (Franco), and I wanted to do something different.”

She went on to discuss how her fans might react to her new role and whether that impacted her decision to take the part.

“As far as my fans go, I just try to — I don’t know — I hope that I’m a good example to them. … I think some people with younger fans, they kind of choose roles for their fans. For me, it’s more about things I want to do and projects I want to be a part of. And of course my thought is: ‘I hope my fans enjoy this.’ ”

Young fans of Benson will likely be taken aback by the dark themes of this film, which, along with a hefty load of violence, prominently features boobs, booze and enough bikinis to give a 12-year-old boy wet dreams for a week.

Korine spoke about his decision to cast Benson, as well as Disney stars Selena Gomez (TV’s “Wizards of Waverly Place) and Vanessa Hudgens (“High School Musical”) despite their young fan bases.

“I think that their fans will also grow up and eventually see it,” Korine said. “So, I think that we make a movie, and the movie exists forever, and so eventually people will find it — people that aren’t old enough to see it now will be old enough to see it in a few years, and hopefully they’ll enjoy it. I wanted to work with these girls first and foremost because they were the best for the part. They were the most interesting for the part.”

Korine’s wife Rachel Korine (“The Fourth Dimension”) completes the quartet of spring break babes, while James Franco (“Your Highness”) and rapper Gucci Mane (“Beef 4”) round out the cast. When asked which one of these two gentlemen would make the better spring break companion, there was no hesitation.

“I’d pick Gucci because he’s rad,” Benson said, while Korine was even shorter with his explanation: “Gucci.” At another point, he referred to Gucci as “the Trap God,” and even once went so far as to say, “Gucci is what makes America great.”