Daily Arts Writer Mayank Mathur sat down with Facility and Programming Manager Brian Hunter of Ann Arbor’s State Theater to discuss the upcoming midnight screening of “The Crow.”

Mayank: So why did you choose to screen “The Crow” during spring? It seems like such an odd time to play this kind of a movie.

Brian: It does seem like an odd time, but it’s not really a Halloween movie, which I think is probably the only time where someone would see it. It’s actually a film we’ve wanted to show for a while and finally an opportunity presented itself. Yes, we could have shown it in October, but I think “The Crow” has such a die-hard audience and hopefully they’ll show up.

Mayank: Do you think that the dark, gothic elements of this film were enhanced by Brandon Lee’s death?

Brian: Yeah, absolutely. I remember seeing Entertainment Tonight’s feature on it, and they only sold it as “this is this movie that killed Brandon Lee.” So I think many people saw “The Crow” without any knowledge of the graphic novel or any knowledge of Brandon Lee or the soundtrack because he died in it. Enhanced might not be the right word for it, but I think it definitely played a major part in the film.

Mayank: So, being born in ’95, I hadn’t seen this film before. After I saw it, I did some reading about it and I discovered that people actually compared “The Crow” to movies like Tim Burton’s “Batman” and said that it was better and darker than what Tim Burton had tried to do. Do you agree with that?

Brian: Yeah, I agree. I saw that movie in ’94 when it came out and I was 14. I read the graphic novel after I saw the film and at 14, I didn’t think it was age appropriate. Tim Burton’s “Batman” is great, it’s a fantastic movie but the one problem with it is (in my opinion) that it really is a “Joker” movie. He made a really good “Joker” movie; Batman is a secondary character in that. “The Crow” totally works with the graphic novel. It captures the grittiness and the horror. The graphic novel is for adults and “The Crow” is an R-rated movie. They didn’t try to cute it up, they didn’t try to make it any different, and they didn’t try to make it family-friendly. Batman isn’t for kids, but it definitely is funnier than what it can be. It was almost like “Batman” was made for kids knowing that other audiences wanted to see it whereas “The Crow” is totally different. “The Crow” is adult content that’s really on the cusp of teenage comprehension.

Mayank: While I watching this movie, I was taken aback by a couple of things — it’s so out there and so brazen with its dark elements and doesn’t shy away from anything. What surprised you the most when you saw the film back in ’94?

Brian: The thing about this movie is that about how well it’s really held up for a 20-year-old movie, and that for a mainstream movie, it’s really dark. It’s so cynical about the topic it’s dealing with; it doesn’t hide the fact that it’s dealing with rape, murder and violence — it embraces it, and I think that’s what defines that character. It set out to do something, which is to capture the tone of the graphic novel in a movie, and it does that in a great way. I don’t know if I’ve seen a graphic novel translate the way “The Crow” has been translated: They really hit the tone of the graphic novel and they did it justice.