Choices play an important part in the School of Music, Theatre & Dance’s upcoming production of “Crazy for You,” directed by Associate Professor of Musical Theatre Linda Goodrich and opening on April 18.

Crazy For You

Thursday at 7:30 p.m., Friday and Saturday at 8 p.m., Sunday at 2 p.m.
Power Center
From $20

“Ultimately, you have a choice in life,” Goodrich said. “You can choose the positive and choose to love and choose to dance, or you can choose to complain and be loveless.”

This is the choice that main character Bobby Child, a rich playboy, must make when his mother sends him to Deadrock, Nev., to foreclose on the local theater. But when he inadvertently falls in love with the theater owner’s daughter, Polly Baker, he’s forced to decide between the path his family wants him to take and the path his heart is telling him to take.

“It’s a little bit of a boy-meets-girl show, but there are so many twists and turns,” Goodrich explained. “So it’s more he meets her, he gets her, he loses her, he gets her again in a disguise, he loses her in the disguise, he finds himself and then he gets her as himself.”

The musical, written by George and Ira Gershwin, and Ken Ludwig, has an incredibly strong dance element. Originally choreographed by Tony award-winner Susan Stroman, Goodrich wanted to keep as much of that original choreography intact.

“We chose this show with the intent of having the Stroman choreography recreated so our students would get the chance to work in that vein,” Goodrich said. “There are two pieces that another faculty member, Ron DeJesus, choreographed … then all the tap choreography is Susan Stroman’s.”

While Goodrich wasn’t initially supposed to direct the show, she has enjoyed the opportunity to work more with the students.

“I think working with the students and seeing them discover the show for the first time and seeing what they’ve been able to accomplish has been my favorite part,” she said. “Comedy is much harder than tragedy and seeing them being able to find a style and accomplish that and to learn these very detailed dances is really interesting.”

As a professor, though, she can’t always prevent herself from using the rehearsals as an opportunity to teach.

“It’s somewhat of a different animal, but if there are points or rehearsal etiquette or processing things that I see are not happening, then I step into the role of teacher a little bit,” Goodrich said.

According to Goodrich, there’s something for everyone in the show, so even those who don’t like musicals will be able to enjoy themselves.

“The book is very well written, and the storytelling is through dance,” Goodrich explained. “And I think it’s a universal story so everyone relates to these characters.”