Well, NBC has done it again. In 2014, Jay Leno will officially step down as host of “The Tonight Show” … for the second time.

Via press release on April 3, NBC confirmed what had been the worst kept secret of the year: “Late Night” host Jimmy Fallon will succeed Jay Leno after the conclusion of the 2014 Winter Olympics. The press release highlighted Leno’s 22 successful years as host of the iconic late-night talk show. (I guess it’s better if we all just forget about Conan O’Brien’s brief stint as host in 2009, while Leno was headlining his own show on primetime.)

Over the past few weeks, there has been a lot of speculation over what “The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon” will be like and what will happen with the rest of NBC’s late-night line-up. While the move is still several months away, it’s confirmed that “The Tonight Show” will be moving back to New York, where Johnny Carson hosted the program for the first 10 years of his 30-year tenure. The Roots’ lead MC, Black Thought, also confirmed that the group, which has been the house band for all five seasons of “Late Night with Jimmy Fallon,” will be making the move to 11:35 p.m. as well.

Fallon’s promotion leaves an empty seat on “Late Night,” and in the past few months, two names have been floating around as possible replacements: Seth Meyers and Alec Baldwin. Both actors would make sense, as they have strong ties to Lorne Michaels, the executive producer of “Late Night” and creator of “Saturday Night Live,” where Meyers has served as head writer since 2006. He was also an executive producer on “30 Rock,” where Baldwin spent seven seasons playing the role of Jack Donaghy.

Baldwin’s name originally came into the late night discussion as a possible replacement for Carson Daly, whose 1:35 a.m. “Last Call” has very quietly made it 12 seasons on the network. However, this proved only to be speculation when “Last Call with Carson Daly” was renewed for a 13th season on April 10.

Similar to 2009, Jay Leno didn’t exactly step down from “The Tonight Show” as much as he was forced out. Strange, considering “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno” continues to be the most-watched program in late-night. However, like most television shows, it’s not about how many people watch — it’s about how many young people watch.

In that regard, neither Leno or his broadcast rivals, David Letterman and Jimmy Kimmel, are winning the ratings race. During the first quarter of 2013, in the key 18-49 demographic, Comedy Central emerged as the big winner: “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart” and “The Colbert Report” were the No. 1 and No. 2 shows, respectively. While Stewart has the advantage of airing 30 minutes earlier — in direct competition with only “Conan” and “Chelsea Lately” — Colbert goes head-to-head with Leno, Letterman and Kimmel.

Though Leno was a strong No. 3 on the list, with only 60,000 viewers separating him and Colbert, NBC has been grooming Fallon as his replacement for some time now. Fallon is NBC’s investment for the future, and with “Jimmy Kimmel Live” now airing an hour earlier, it’s time Fallon makes the move as well.

At only 62 years old, there’s no telling what Leno’s next move could be. He has a very loyal fan base and could easily set up at a different network — rumor has it he’s been fielding offers from many. But NBC seems ready for a change, and with the potential lineup of Jimmy Fallon and Seth Meyers, they could end up with the freshest and funniest duo in late night.