Who are you, Jack Garratt? The brother of the famed James Blake? Or cousin of Jamie Woon? Perhaps one of the two, as it seems you have similarly descended from the R&B electronic genre, one of the finest sonic creations of millennial musicians to date.

“Chemical”

A-
Jack Garratt
Island Records

The mystical and domineering auditory forces that emerge from Garratt’s most recent single, “Chemical,” are overwhelmingly enjoyable. It’s the combination of dilating beats, a chorus of rising alto voices and the emotionally entrenched, sweeping range of Garratt’s vocals that drag the listener into the track. The steady clap, clap, clap and low bass voices lure the listener in before crescendoing into a spastic chorus of electronics that — while possessing the tenor to frighten a nearby dog — are delicious little Pop Rocks for the headphones. The calculated depth of Garratt’s “Chemical” ensures that even an obsessive listening session won’t prevent the discovery of some fascinating new rift, dip or sultry lyric.

Garratt, a 23-year-old Brit, has just begun to watch his career take flight. His 2014 EP, Remnants, sparked a seemingly never-ending European tour and only positive accolades from the critics. He’s inserting himself into a niche of the music industry that Baths created years ago, the melding of emotion to electronics. Harnessing the combined powers of the sound booth, its sound boards, sampling abilities and the human heart, the combination has found success over the past half decade. Garratt holds the talent to keep deepening this musical divot, and he’s already attached three successful singles to his name: “Worry,” “Love You’re Given” and now “Chemical.” All this leaves the beckoning question: what’s going to happen when Jack drops an actual album?