When summer starts to slip into fall, at the close of August or right at the beginning of September, the worn-out neighborhood pools begin to close. As one of the universal signs that summer is ending, the closing pools are made even more depressing by their changing appearance. Leaves and dirt begin to collect in them as they start to become unused, and then unclean.

Falling Apart

B+
Emile Haynie ft Andrew Wyatt & Brian Wilson
Interscope Records

One of these grimy, gross pools is the landscape for Buffalo native and well-known music producer Emile Haynie’s first music video from his solo effort, We Fall. The video explains the plot of his first single off the record, “Falling Apart,” which features the vocals of Miike Snow (aka Andrew Wyatt) and the living legend of Brian Wilson. Cool right? So is the video.

Starring a skinny highlighter blonde with dark eyebrows and eyes, the premise of the video should be somewhat boring. Floating and rolling around in a dirty pool filled with dead leaves and what appears to be sludge shouldn’t be this appealing. But the warm pinks and purples start to fill the pool and the story is transformed. “Tattoos on your face covered up your skin” sings Wyatt as the dark dragon eyes and muddy face of the deranged blonde gaze up from the pool. This song is so sonically multifaceted that it had the room and right to descend into the weird.

Nothing about this video is visually displeasing. It’s a gritty video that follows the patterns of an imploding girl as she starts to fall apart off the coast of California. The image of the damsel in distress following a series of bad decisions in the name of love is a bit overused in our popular art today. But as the chorus correlates with the images, singing “How’d you get so cold, how’d you get so cold?” it isn’t so annoying. Maybe it’s the piercing set of eyes this poor little lady holds. Or maybe it’s the feeling that you’re sitting in on someone’s recent acid-induced experience. But the trippy nature of the video doesn’t feel excessive; instead, it accentuates the emotion inspiring the lyrics and music. And so you leave pitying the poor little rich blonde girl. G’damnit, just stick around to hear Brian Wilson sing.