“One of Those Nights”
Juicy J ft. The Weeknd
Taylor Gang
A-

Juicy J and The Weeknd

A-
“One of Those Nights”
Taylor Gang

Abel Tesfaye, also known as The Weeknd, has a tendency to turn his guest appearances on other artists’ songs into starring roles. In some ways, this has to do with the fact that the songs he appears on feature cryptic and mysterious production that sounds just like the material from his incredible trilogy of mixtapes. That being said, the Weeknd’s explicit subject matter and falsetto cry usually steal the show in every song he appears on. Usually.

On Juicy J’s new single “One of Those Nights,” though, the Weeknd is matched wit-for-wit by Juicy, former member of Three 6 Mafia and Wiz Khalifa’s new sidekick. In fact, Juicy might be the Weeknd’s first collaborator who shares the same graphic insanity and love for strippers, drugs and money. Not surprisingly, then, the two artists blend effortlessly on this most recent collaboration, their first after a few years of mutual public admiration.

Similar to his other features, the Weeknd commands the opening of the song, and only after a verse and extended chorus does Juicy make an appearance. However, once on the mic, Juicy makes his presence known. He does an almost perfect job of adding some “trippy” flavor to the Weeknd’s signature haunting sound, rapping about weed and women, and even bragging, “Juicy J got bank like Dr. Phil.” “Gonna be one of those nights … ” The Weeknd croons on the chorus over Juicy’s adlibs, and knowing these two, God help the owner of the club they end up at.