New Girl
“TinFinity”
FOX
A-

New Girl

A-
“TinFinity”
FOX

“New Girl” is one of those rare gems of the TV world that started out slow, took the time to experiment with characters and emerged transformed, as perhaps the most reliably funny sitcom of the year. Is it groundbreaking? The “Friends” of our generation? No. But after long hours of Tuesday night problem set slaying, there’s nothing quite like watching Schmidt say “made a caca in their hand.”

The title of the most recent episode, “TinFinity” refers to a party organized by Schmidt and Nick (mostly Schmidt) to commemorate 10 years of an inability to move on (i.e. living together). In case you’re wondering, Tin’s elemental symbol is Sn, a handy acronym for Schmidt + Nick. Genius? I think so.

The interaction between these two unlikely best friends has always been the highlight of the show, and the reasons why shine through in this episode. Awkward banter, friendly competition and Porta-Potty jokes smeared together by that inescapable bro-ness of it all come together to give the relationship that needed dynamic feel.

Like most of the rest of season two, “TinFinity” ’s only flaw is that it tries too hard to shove all four leads into undeveloped storylines. It’s a noble effort, but it’s also worth noting we only have 21 minutes of runtime to work with. Jess and Winston don’t need to be competing to woo a professional football player. Cece doesn’t need to be struggling with trying to decide if she wants to marry Shivrang right now. Save it for another week. Let the bro-ness flow.