HBO has another hit on its hands. “Looking,” a series revolving around a group of mostly gay friends living in San Francisco, premiered on Sunday to much acclaim. Over the course of the premiere’s brief 29-minute running time, the show managed to generate a strong connection to its characters, that puts the program on a strong footing for the future.

Looking

A
HBO
Sundays at 10:30 p.m.

“Looking” ’s premiere was successful because, while managing to introduce characters and their pasts, it did not linger on them. Instead, there was an ingrained familiarity that made viewers feel as if they have known the characters for years. With a combination of lighting, camera work and dialogue, “Looking” produced one of the most honest portrayals of friendship currently on TV.

Throughout the premiere, the producers utilized tight framing, creating an intimacy that is not always sought after but also works so well within the context of the show. The subtle shifting focus that draws viewers’ eyes naturally from character to character complemented the tight framing beautifully. Additionally, the lighting is soft and warm which plays into creating a sense of closeness.

Jonathan Groff (“Frozen”) plays Patrick, or Patty as his friends lovingly call him, and is the talent on the show. As a character, Patrick is who, if given the choice, would be your best friend. Cute and slightly introverted, he often responds to awkward scenarios in a very natural way, giggling and looking uncomfortable. Very endearing, he seems to come from a place many twenty- and thirty-year-olds can understand. While friends are moving in with their significant others, he has resorted to OKCupid (which leads to one of the most realistically wretched dates on TV) and his ex-boyfriend is newly engaged. It is hard to not feel for a guy who is reminiscent of at least one of your friends.

The dialogue can stand alone. While not as quotable as HBO’s other hit, “Girls,” the dialogue is honest, never coming off as contrived. The chemistry between the cast breathes life into the dialogue which could easily be boring if all the other elements on the show were not so complimentary. As English teachers everywhere preach, the dialogue “shows not tells.” And by that, the intricacies of each character’s personality shine through to meld with the carefully constructed production choices.

“Looking” also uses social media in a very appropriate way. Instead of shying away from mentioning social media, they embrace it without worry of seeming outdated. The references to Instagram filters ruining everything (“Is this guy even hot?”) to the proper use of emojis (“A winking smiley face — what are you, a Japanese teenager?”) are dead on. This generation is intertwined with the rise of the Internet and it is great to see a TV show so unabashedly use that fact to further plot and character development.

Some reduce “Looking” to simply a “gay version of ‘Girls,’ ” but those people are missing out. With a great first episode, “Looking” reveals more potential than most shows that have come out in the past year.