This photo is from the official trailer of “Ginny and Georgia,” produced by Netflix

The relationship between a mother and daughter is always powerful — but have you ever wondered what kind of dynamic a white mother has with her biracial daughter when they are just 15 years apart in age? It’s a relationship worth examining, and “Ginny and Georgia” gives you a front-row seat. 

The series is supposed to be a modern-day “Gilmore Girls,” but it’s far from it. Perhaps it could be better described as a mix of “Euphoria” and “Black-ish” with a hint of “How to Get Away With Murder,” and undertones of sex, drugs, money and murder. The show, though produced by Netflix, has an HBO style to it, which makes the plot high-quality and entertaining. 

The drama follows a family of three in the fictional New England town of Wellsbury, Mass., where they’ve relocated to start a new life. Wellsbury is the kind of town where if you’re a minority, you stick out like a sore thumb, and if you come from wealth, you’ll fit right in. 

Georgia Miller (Brianne Howey, “Batwoman”) is the mother of 15-year-old daughter Ginny (Antonia Gentry, “Raising Dion”) and son Austin (Diesel La Torraca, “Heroes for A Day”) who plays more of a best friend role to her children. After the shocking death of her wealthy ex-husband, Georgia is on the prowl in search of the next best thing, while Ginny struggles to be the new girl for the thousandth time as her mom is always running from her past. As she adjusts to new friends, new boys and new experiences, Ginny is faced with the cold hard truth of what it means to be in strife with her identity.

Faced with microaggressions, racial injustice and the dreaded questions about her racial background, Ginny is constantly reminded what it means to be biracial and the complexities that it brings to her life, no matter how hard she tries to ignore it. “Ginny and Georgia” presents itself merely as an emotional tale between a mother and daughter, but the show uses this trope as a vessel to tell a much bigger story about the nuances of social identity. 

What’s so great about this series is its way of depicting the social injustice and discrimination Ginny experiences without any sugarcoating. It portrays real-life situations faced by biracial people, like being singled out in AP English under the assumption that they’re unable to “keep up,” or taking the fall for stealing even though their white-identifying friends were the main culprits. The show allows for further discussion on why Black-white biracial people could never be seen as two races, and why they are often only associated with their minority side and treated as such. 

The objective of the show is to feel empathy for Ginny. Who can she talk to as the only biracial person in her family and the only person of color in her friend group? In a sense, the show attempts to form some relatability for its biracial viewers who may be in the same boat.  

Sure, shows that include topics about race and identity could be considered cliché, but it’s up to the viewers to dissect the meaning of what it means to be biracial in a racialized society. The series opens up many doors for conversation, and if you’re okay with watching Ginny’s character constantly go through emotional turmoil, prepare to learn something new. 

Daily Arts Writer Jessica Curney can be reached at jcurney@umich.edu.