Releases:

Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture (Aug. 11): PlayStation

A first-person adventure game, “Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture,” dropped this month to PlayStation. The gameplay focuses on storytelling as the player explores the world to uncover the truth of why the town has been mysteriously deserted. The open world universe created is both beautiful and haunting.

Adventures of Pip (Aug. 21): Xbox, PlayStation

Previously released to PC and Wii U, Tic Toc Games’s “Adventures of Pip” released to Xbox and PlayStation this month. This 2D side-scroller focuses on the world pixel resolution. The player controls Pip, a little square of a single pixel as he evolves to first an 8-bit and then a 16-bit character. With each evolution comes new powers, but also certain disadvantages. The gamer must learn to switch between the different resolutions to traverse the levels and defeat the Evil Queen DeRezia.

Until Dawn (Aug. 25): PlayStation

“Until Dawn,” a survival horror game from developers Supermassive Games, hit PlayStation on Aug. 25. The game is designed with replayability in mind, since the different choices and discoveries made by the player directly affect the outcome of the game. This game is designed to put the player in a horror movie. The goal is to try to keep all the characters alive, but it is possible that none will survive. With hundreds of little choices to make the smallest decision could cost a character their life. Can you survive until dawn?

Madden NFL 16 (Aug. 25): Playstation, Xbox

The newest title in the ”Madden NFL” series released with month featuring New York Giants wide receiver Odell Beckham, Jr. on the cover. Like the previous games in this IP, the player is able to control all their favorite teams and players competing against either the game’s AI or a friend online. This game introduces improved ball-handling and character motion as well as new catches and plays. There is a new in-game feedback system and a new game mode called “Draft Champions.”   

Disney Infinity 3.0 (Aug. 30): Xbox, PlayStation, Wii U, PC, iOS, Android

The third in the “Disney Infinity” sandbox games, this title will focus on the introduction of the characters of the “Star Wars” franchise and the movie “Inside Out.” Like the previous games in this series, figurine character models can link and upload to the game to become playable characters. New characters, such as Mulan, Olaf, Ultron and a significant number of “Star Wars” characters will be made available over the coming fall quarter, and are sold are either as single characters or as character packs.

News:

GamesCon (Aug. 5-9):

The trade fair GamesCon convened at the start of this month in Cologne, Germany. With approximately 200 companies, 95 countries represented and 345,000 visitors this convention is one of the largest in Europe. Many games were exhibited, such as “Call of Duty: Black Ops III,” “Chibi-Robo! Zip Lash,” “Fall Out 4,” “Halo 5,” “Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows,” “Mirror’s Edge Catalyst” and “For Honor” (to name drop just a few). Additionally, “Star Wars Battlefront” won the award for “Best of GamesCon” as well as “Most Wanted Consumer” and “Best Console Game Sony PlayStation.”

PAX Prime (Aug 28-31):

The Penny Arcade Expo just ended. Unlike many conventions, PAX allows members of the gaming community access to test games out. This means that there is a focus on live gameplay demos. Some of the games and DLC available at this PAX included: “Minecraft: Story Mode,” “Uncharted The Nathan Drake Collection,” “Guitar Hero Live,” “Destiny: The Taken King,” “Dreadnought,” “Castle Crashers Remastered,” “Salt and Sanctuary,” “Knight Squad” and more. Additionally, YouTube Gaming covered the entire event with live streams and panels, including special guests such as Rooster Teeth, Game Grumps and Preston Playz.