The Michigan swimming team left the fate of its meet this weekend to chance, literally.

An advocate of adapting to subtle changes and mixing things up, Michigan coach Mike Bottom implemented a new format to the three-session meet with Louisville. Twice during each session, a die would be thrown, determining the distance of the next events.

“The nice thing about doing this tripleheader is they have a chance to improve with each game,” Bottom said.

Bottom was successful in drawing out winning performances from his swimmers, even with the inventive format of the meet. The Wolverines reeled in three dominant wins over Louisville, securing the meet after the second session Saturday morning.

In both sessions Saturday, Michigan defeated Louisville by nearly 100 points, and on Friday, Michigan beat the Cardinals by over 50 points.

“The whole team was loud the whole time. A lot of energy,” said junior PJ Ransford. “Three sessions is a lot, but we did a really good job of staying loud, staying focused, swimming fast and having a good time.”

Across the three sessions, seven different swimmers won individual events, demonstrating the widespread talent of Michigan’s team.

Three first place finishes were collected in freestyle events from junior Paul Powers in the 50-yard (20.00), freshman Felix Aubock in the 500-yard (4:24.66), and Ransford in the 1,000-yard (9:10.40).

New members played an important role in the outcome of the weekend, as freshmen Jacob Montague and Charlie Swanson started off their swim careers at Michigan with individual wins in the 100-yard breaststroke (in 54.68 seconds) and 400-yard individual medley (in 3:51.37), respectively.

In the 400-yard individual medley, Swanson’s win came a full six seconds ahead of sophomore Stephen Holmquist, who finished second.

On the other end of the spectrum, seniors Vinny Tafuto (48.55) and Chris Klein (1:49.95) claimed first in the 100-yard butterfly and the 200-yard individual medley, respectively.

In the third session, the Wolverines displayed their talent in the breastroke. Montague, Swanson and Tommy Cope all finished in the top five of the 200-yard breastroke along with Klein. Again Michigan packed the top five, this time in the 50-yard backstroke with second, third, and fourth place finishes from junior Tristan Sanders, freshman Alex Martin and redshirt senior Luke Papendick, respectively.

“Everybody was battling for points for Michigan and that’s what we wanted,” Bottom said.

The Wolverines’ relays were just as victorious as their individual events. Opening up the second session with a close 200-yard medley relay win were Sanders, Montague, Tafuto and Powers. Later in the second session, Michigan recorded second, third and fourth place finishes in three relays: the 400-yard freestyle, 100-yard freestyle and 100-yard backstroke.

“Because of the way we’re looking at this weekend, we look at it as a blue weekend, and we talked about going from the bottom up, ” Bottom said. “A blue weekend is why you didn’t hear us yelling any names throughout the weekend. We were yelling, ‘Go blue!’ It’s about the team. It’s about taking names out of the team and making everybody a part of the team.”