After a tumultuous first month with racist incidents and controversial speakers, student governments on campus are taking steps toward finding possible solutions to amending the campus climate.

LSA senior Anushka Sarkar, president of Central Student Government, sent an email Wednesday afternoon announcing the first Diag Assembly, in which the CSG body will host its Tuesday night meetings on the Diag.

The governing body will be “debating and discussing campus climate-specific resolutions” and there will be time for students to voice their concerns to their representatives. Members of the University of Michigan administration will be present.

“Our commitment to a better Michigan must start with the acknowledgement that our campus is not perfect — we’re not,” the email reads. “It’s not true to say that ‘hatred has no place here’ because it evidently does have a place here; as long as we are passive about hatred’s presence here, as long as we rely on the same people to demonstrate against it time and time again, hatred will continue to show up in our classes, at our doors, and on our street corners.”

After passing its own resolution to support the rename the C.C. Little Science Building, LSA Student Government is currently attending other meetings and garnering support from other student governments on campus. The LSA governing body started discussions on the renaming of the building mid-summer. At the same time, but separately, an initiative started by History professor John Carson and LSA senior Joshua Hasler led to the creation of a 20 page proposal on renaming the building. Upon learning this, LSA SG President Nicholas Fadanelli explained, decided to lobby on behalf of the proposal. 

The science building is named after former University President Clarence Cook Little, a known eugenicist. Last month, LSA SG hosted a panel with academics on renaming — the event was taken over by protesters wearing bloodied white gowns to demonstrate the violence of eugenics.

CSG is currently discussing its own resolution, introduced by Fadanelli and Rep. Kristen Ball, LSA junior, on the renaming of the C.C. Little Science Building. The body’s Twitter, however, posted a link to a petition of its renaming several times. 

Sarkar and CSG Vice President Nadine Jawad, a Public Policy junior, released a statement referencing the building after condemning Charles Murray’s views when he came to speak on campus. 

“For the same reasons that Nadine and I condemn Murray’s beliefs, Nadine and I also support the renaming of the C.C. Little Building,” it read. “People like Murray and Little, who shout from the rooftops that racism exists because certain people are inherently inferior do not deserve glorification.”

Fadanelli, an LSA senior, has expressed his concerns regarding the name of the building and how this issue has been previously disregarded.

“I just think it’s appalling to have this mixed message,” he explained. “On the one hand having the University, which tells its students, ‘You belong here,’ and on the other hand having in one of the most prominent locations on campus … a building that glorifies a man who believed that a majority of students do not belong here.”

LSA SG has reached out to the administration and to the student governments representing other schools within the University. Fadanelli expressed gratitude for the amount of support from the student governments and the University, especially within LSA.

“I cannot state enough how much I appreciate what the college of LSA administration and faculty have done so far on this issue,” Fadanelli said.

Fadanelli and LSA senior Ryan Gillcrist, LSA SG Vice President met with University President Mark Schlissel’s special council last week. They discussed President Schlissel’s new system of renaming buildings and how they are learning to amend and improve the process along the way. They also touched on how to make the administration’s actions and proposals more transparent and accessible to students.

“They have been very amicable in terms of being as transparent, open and honest as they can be,” Fadanelli said.

In addition to the science building proposal, the administration is also considering renaming Winchell House in West Quad Residence Hall, as Winchell’s work has been cited by white supremacists. 

Fadanelli also brought up the renaming intiative during University Council.  He said he stopped by Engineering Student Government’s meeting to propose a renaming resolution to their assemblies. He explained there was a lot of “verbal support” from the other student governing bodies. During his discussion with ESG, he said its president, Engineering senior Breanna DeCocker, was very open to discussion. ESG is voting on their resolution Wednesday night. 

Rackham Student Government passed their resolution in renaming the building, 16 in favor and 2 against and six abstained. The Rackham governing body did not respond to requests for an interview.