The tournament didn’t play out exactly the way it anticipated, but the Michigan women’s golf team took home the victory at the Trinity Forest Invitational in Dallas in its last tournament of the fall season.

The 14-team tournament, which was hosted by Southern Methodist University, was originally a 54-hole competition set to be played on Monday and Tuesday. But due to heavy rain, the tournament ended up being cut short after just 18 holes.

In Monday’s first round, the Wolverines made it to the 11th hole before the rain forced them into the clubhouse. Two hours later, they were back on the course, and by the end of the round, they found themselves with a score of 304 and a one-stroke lead over Texas A&M.

Rain canceled the second round that was also scheduled to be played that day, and in the morning, the Wolverines found out the final round would be called off as well, giving them their first team title since 2012.

While the Wolverines were disappointed that they weren’t able to play a full tournament, coach Jan Dowling was quick to point out the positives from their performance.

“We put ourselves in a great position going into the final round,” Dowling said. “It would have been a really fun and really competitive experience for our program, but at the same time, we have to give credit to our round that was played. We played well in tough conditions, and we beat a lot of good teams.”

Michigan was powered by sophomore Elodie Van Dievoet and junior Emily White, both of whom posted scores of 75 (plus-3) to finish tied for sixth place, four strokes back of the winner. Juniors Megan Kim and Kathy Lim were two strokes behind them, tying for 20th.

The weather wasn’t the only factor that had a substantial impact on the Wolverines’ performance on Monday. Trinity Forest Country Club, a newly built seaside links-style course with no trees, was already one of the most challenging courses the Wolverines had experienced all year. In particular, Dowling mentioned the greens, which despite the rain remained hard and fast.

“They’re huge greens, and because it’s a very new course, they were really, really firm,” Dowling said. “You’re landing your ball on a flat area or a downslope, and the ball almost 100 percent of the time rolls to the back of the green.”

However, Dowling believes that this apparent disadvantage actually worked in the Wolverines’ favor, as it allowed them to strategize more and rely more on mental attributes.

“You really had to plot your way around the golf course, almost like you had to think one or two shots ahead,” Dowling said. “It became a chess game, which played into our favor.”

With the fall season over, Michigan has a three-month break before its next tournament, the Lady Puerto Rico Classic in February. During this time away from competition, the Wolverines will be motivated to build on the momentum from their victory as they prepare for the second half of their campaign.

“The players have some individual things they need to work on, and we’re excited to attack them at the right time,” Dowling said. “It’s a great confidence booster and motivator for us heading into the spring.”