Controversial call forces Wolverines to settle for draw

Allison Farrand/Daily

BY AKSHAY BAMZAI
For the Daily

A Michigan-Ohio State matchup is never complete without some controversy.

With the women’s soccer rendition of the rivalry knotted at two with about one minute left in extra time, it appeared as though junior midfielder Corinne Harris was tackled from behind inside the 18-yard box.

The referee disagreed.

“Not to argue with a referee, but that was a penalty kick there at the end,” said Michigan coach Greg Ryan. “(Harris) dribbled a player and then she’s taken down from behind. You have to make that call.”

And the non-call failed to break the score, as the Wolverines finished tied at 2.

After dropping a close game to Penn State this past Thursday, Michigan was looking to bounce back on Senior Day against the Buckeyes.

It was an even matchup for the majority of the game as the Wolverines (7-2-1 Big Ten, 11-4-1 overall) and Ohio State (2-5-3, 5-8-3) had nine and seven shots on net, respectively.

Michigan took a one-goal lead with 58 seconds left in the match when sophomore defender Anna Soccorsi found freshman forward Danielle Hogarth inside the box. Hogarth took a header from five yards out, which bounced past the Buckeyes’ goalkeeper.

But Ohio State didn’t go away, scoring just 13 seconds later off the restart. On the right side of the pitch from 30 yards out, Buckeye forward Sammy Edwards found midfielder Nicole Miyashiro alone in the box, where she headed it past Michigan freshman goalkeeper Megan Hinz.

It took 70 minutes for either team to find a breakthrough when sophomore forward Nicky Waldeck headed home her team-leading 11th goal of the season off a corner from freshman forward Taylor Timko.

It was the only goal the Wolverines converted out of 17 corner kicks.

“We should have done better with our service,” Ryan said. “Several of them we either played it behind the net or we played it at the near post, and it was easily defended.”

Michigan had trouble defending its lead after Waldeck’s goal as it conceded one less than five minutes later to Ohio State midfielder Ellyn Gruber off a header.

In the Wolverines’ defensive half, Ohio State forward Nichelle Prince wreaked havoc on Michigan’s backline for the complete 110 minutes. But the Wolverines’ defense contained her enough without allowing her to get on the score sheet.

“We just made sure that when we were playing around her to be safe and to make sure we were dropping far enough back so that we could swing the ball around her,” Soccorsi said.

Added Ryan: “I was really proud of the backline, (Prince) is a handful. I thought we did a really good job of keeping her out of the game, but the fact that she didn’t have a goal meant that we did a really good job.”