Maddie Fox/Daily. Buy this photo.

The Michigan volleyball team announced Wednesday afternoon that both of its upcoming matches at Minnesota this weekend would be postponed, citing COVID-19-related issues within the program. 

Although the extent to which the program has been affected is currently unclear, the team explained in a post on Twitter that the postponement was “mutually agreed upon out of an abundance of caution surrounding the health and safety of the participants.”

The postponement comes in the midst of a season that has already been quite frustrating for the Wolverines, who missed their first six games as a result of COVID-19 issues at Penn State and then the Michigan athletic department’s shutdown earlier this semester. The team’s most recent series, which they played last weekend against Maryland, was also affected by COVID-19, as both head coach Mark Rosen and associate head coach Leisa Rosen were unavailable to coach due to contact tracing protocols. Assistant coach Jerome Fraisse has been the acting head coach in their absence.

The Wolverines currently hold a 2-3 record, with both wins coming last week against Michigan State and Maryland. Their next scheduled matches, which may also be in jeopardy, are on Mar. 5 and Mar. 6 at Rutgers.

The COVID-19 pandemic has thrown challenges at all of us — including The Michigan Daily — but that hasn’t stopped our staff. We’re committed to reporting on the issues that matter most to the community where we live, learn and work. Your donations keep our journalism free and independent. You can support our work here.

For a weekly roundup of the best stories from The Michigan Daily, sign up for our newsletter here.