University's Board of Regents to consider $14 million Yost Ice Arena renovation

File Photo/Daily

By Stephen J. Nesbitt, Daily Sports Editor
Published June 13, 2011

When then-Athletic Director and head football coach Fielding H. Yost oversaw the construction of a field house — the first multi-sport complex of its kind — in 1923, the project cost $563,168.

Eighty-eight years later, Michigan Athletic Director Dave Brandon has made a request for the University’s Board of Regents to approve a $14 million upgrade to Yost Ice Arena.

Brandon’s request was released via a communication from the regents. The plan outlines a project that would target three specific areas for improvement at Yost: seating, private boxes and media seating and the brick building’s infrastructure.

The building, built as Yost Field House and the home base for Michigan basketball and track, became Yost Ice Arena in 1973 and currently has a seating capacity of just over 6,600.

Under the new proposed project, the spectator seating on the east, south and west sides of the rink will be replaced, “improving accessibility as well as emergency egress,” according to the communication.

In addition to a $5.5 million project that the arena underwent in 1996 that added second-floor administrative offices and press box facilities, Brandon’s request calls for “improvements to the east and west concourses, conversion of the level four west side media balcony into a series of loge boxes, a new level five on the west side for media, as well as new comer and stair platforms for additional seating.”

The infrastructure improvements include ”upgrading the existing fire alarm system, extending the existing fire suppression system to areas which are not currently protected, and replacing the exterior windows. The scope of this project includes the architectural, mechanical and electrical work necessary to accomplish these improvements.”

Should the project be approved by the regents, Rossetti Architecture Inc. would be the architect.

Construction is currently being done at Yost to install high-definition video boards on the jumbotron at center ice. That element was approved by the regents in late January.