Strong Finish for Michigan at the Head of the Charles

By Nathaniel Clark, For the Daily

The Michigan rowing team’s season hasn’t even begun, but the Wolverines are already off to a strong start.

Michigan finished eighth out of 39 teams in the women’s championship race at the Head of the Charles Regatta in Boston, Mass. The Wolverines finished with a final time of 17:08.728 — nearly a minute behind the winning boat from the Cambridge Boat Club. The event featured teams from all over the world, including Oxford, England.

“This was a big step forward from two weeks ago (against Ohio State),” said Michigan coach Mark Rothstein. “The boat that went to Boston really showed how the whole team has improved.”

Michigan only raced in the eight-seat event over the weekend, where strong communication vaulted the team to its finish. Rothstein also praised its work ethic and attitude throughout the season.

“They’re a fun bunch to work with,” Rothstein said. “While it’s too early to compare them to past teams, I like what I see.”

Rothstein still feels his team has a long way to go to reach its goals. The Wolverines had four straight NCAA championship bids from 2009-12 including a Big Ten title in 2012. The second varsity eight boat won its second national title in 2012, and the whole team came in second at the NCAA Championships. Rothstein said his team will work on technique at the catch (the start of the rowing stroke) during practice.

Even though Michigan’s main season is the spring, this was a major event for the Wolverines. The Head of the Charles Regatta is a world-renowned rowing event featuring world-class competition. Michigan’s finish gave Rothstein optimism for the upcoming spring season. He hopes that this year’s team will continue the success of the young program.

The Wolverines novice team will travel to East Lansing on Friday to take on Michigan State. The whole team will compete next at home on Friday, Nov. 1 at the Belleville Classic.