Romero named ESPN's Softball Player of the Year

Amanda Allen/Daily

By Kevin Santo, Daily Sports Writer
Published May 12, 2015

Discussions swirl around junior second baseman Sierra Romero and where she stands in the rankings of the best college softball players of all time.

Now Romero has another accolade to add to the argument: ESPN’s Softball Player of the Year.

And given all the awards she has accumulated in her three-year career at Michigan, Romero may be in need of a bigger shelf at her home back in Murrieta, California.

The Wolverines’ now co-captain quickly emerged as the face of the program when she arrived to Ann Arbor in 2013, posting a .379 batting average and 71 runs batted in as a freshman.

As if those numbers weren’t impressive enough, Romero’s performance has skyrocketed to new levels in her third season in the maize and blue. She is the anchor of the third-ranked team in the nation, both at the plate and on the defensive end.

Michigan leads the country in home runs with 107, and Romero has contributed the most long balls to that total with 20. She currently boasts a .469 batting average, .979 slugging percentage, 74 RBI and 51 walks.

Her batting average, RBI and slugging percentage place her third in the nation among power-five conference teams for the respective categories. She is sixth and first in home runs and on-base percentage in the respective categories among the power conference squads, as well.

Romero has committed just nine errors in 57 games, earning herself a .934 fielding percentage.

Romero is coming off a Big Ten conference championship, Big Ten Tournament championship, Big Ten Tournament MVP honor, and a First-Team All Big Ten mention.

Those awards are from 2015 alone and Romero isn’t counting on this being the highlight of the season as the Wolverines head into NCAA Tournament Regional play this Friday.

If Romero can continue to even produce a fraction of her current number, seriously, she’s going to need a bigger shelf.