They should be seniors in high school, but Michigan football’s seven early enrollees haven’t been acting their age. While their peers are preparing for prom, many of the early enrollees have impressed during spring practice, according to Michigan coach Brady Hoke.

Early enrollee Mason Cole has been mentioned multiple times as a standout among the team’s young offensive line. There’s no guarantee Cole will see the field in the fall at a position where freshmen usually ride the bench, but Hoke mentioned that he has played himself into the mix.

“He’s a pretty mature guy,” Hoke said. “Physically, he’s probably a little ahead of a lot of freshmen as an offensive lineman.”

Hoke also said wide receiver Freddy Canteen was among a list of the team’s wide receivers who have stood out during competition for playing time. Canteen is expected to compete for immediate playing time in the slot position.

Defensive tackle Bryan Mone was also named a candidate for early playing time on an interior defensive line looking for depth with junior Ondre Pipkins out with a torn anterior cruciate ligament.

Early enrollee quarterback Wilton Speight likely won’t see the field this season, but Hoke said he is still involved in the team’s quarterback competition. Hoke likes what he has seen from Speight, but noted that if the season started today, fifth-year senior Devin Gardner would likely be the starter over second-string sophomore quarterback Shane Morris.

The only flaws Hoke mentioned about the early enrollees were injury-related. Freshman wide receiver Drake Harris has been dinged up in practice and Hoke expected him to be held out Thursday afternoon. Harris missed all of his senior season with a hamstring injury but enrolled at Michigan healthy.

“We’re probably being a little bit more safe with it,” Hoke said.

Harris participated fully in the Wolverines’ early practices, and Hoke thought he was progressing nicely, learning how to properly run Michigan’s routes.

Young running backs improve: Because of a combination of poor offensive line play and personal underachievement, Michigan’s running backs endured a frustrating 2013 season. The Wolverines’ top returning running backs, sophomores Derrick Green and De’Veon Smith, combined for just 387 rushing yards last season on 109 attempts for an average of 3.55 yards per carry. Hoke says he has seen improvement in the pair through the beginning spring practices compared to their contributions in the fall, particularly for Green.

“(Green’s in better) shape, in experience, understanding the expectations, maybe a little more of a clarity, I think it’s all part of it,” Hoke said.

Hoke also noted that he has seen immense improvement from the pair in pass protection.

Offensive line transfer: Hoke also responded to rumors that Michigan is interested in Alabama guard Chad Lindsay, a graduate transfer, to shore up the offensive line. Lindsay played for offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier and would be eligible to play for the Wolverines in the fall because of graduate transfer rules. He spoke in vague terms, but didn’t rule out the possibility.

“We’ll investigate all those guys, just to see where we’re at,” Hoke said.