Blake Countess to leave Michigan, Wolverines shuffle secondary

Paul Sherman/Daily

By Max Cohen, Managing Sports Editor
Published May 13, 2015

The Michigan football team’s secondary will have a new look next season. Fans already received a glimpse of redshirt freshman Jabrill Peppers playing safety in the Spring Game, but additional changes are on the way.

Fifth-year senior cornerback Blake Countess announced on his Instagram on Wednesday afternoon that he will not be returning to Michigan for his final season of eligibility.

“My past four years here at the University of Michigan have been great!” Countess wrote. “Nothing but love and appreciation for Ann Arbor, the faculty, the coaches, the support staff and the great fans but after many sleepless nights and much prayer I have decided to play my final year of eligibility elsewhere. I truly thank those that have been there for me and hope you would continue to do so. #ForeverGoBlue.”

Countess started 30 games for the Wolverines during his career. He recorded six interceptions in 2013, a season in which he earned first team All-Big Ten honors from the media and second team All-Big Ten honors from the league’s coaches. Countess started 10 of Michigan’s 12 games last season.

One day before Countess posted about his transfer, the Wolverines officially announced the transfer of fifth-year senior cornerback Wayne Lyons from Stanford. Lyons will be immediately eligible because of his status as a graduate transfer. His arrival had been rumored for months and was confirmed by Michigan secondary coach Mike Zordich during spring practice.

Lyons recorded 128 tackles, three interceptions and three forced fumbles for the Cardinal, playing in 43 games. Lyons’ mother, Gwendolyn Bush, works for the football program as the director of player development.

“He brings great experience and ability to our secondary and special teams unit,” Zordich said in a statement. “In addition, Wayne is a super individual who will achieve great things both on the field and in his future career.”