With a stroke total of 894 40 strokes behind champion Wake Forest, the Michigan’s women’s golf team finished 12th in the Ruth’s Chris Invitational. But considering the 18-team tournament featured 12 top-45 teams, the Wolverines were able to hold their own.

“We knew we were obviously going to have to play our best to be in contention,” said Michigan coach Jan Dowling. “We definitely had some good things happen, but (I) wish we could’ve capitalized on the opportunity a little bit better.”

Michigan brought two underclassmen to North Carolina. Freshman Alisa Snyder and sophomore Elodie Van Dievoet, who continued her four-round streak of shooting one of the Wolverines’ lowest rounds. Van Dievoet led the Wolverines on Friday with a score of 73 (+1) and ended the tournament in a tie for 68th with a total of 229.

During round two, Snyder shot a career best of 74 (+2). She ended the weekend with a score of 231, tying for 73rd in her first collegiate start.

“I think (Snyder) was nervous to start on all three of her rounds and I think that’s a good thing,” Dowling said. “She’s able to back herself up against the best teams and players in the country and I think that will give her some really good motivation.”

Saturday, junior Emily White led Michigan with a personal best score of 73 (+1), earning herself the lowest score among the Wolverines so far in the tournament. White ended the weekend tied for 45th with a score of 224.

Senior Grace Choi (222) and junior Megan Kim (223) were the top two finishers for Michigan, tying for 31st and 37th, respectively.

“We are a pretty mature team even though we have a freshman and sophomore in the lineup,” Dowling said. “We are a very mature team and I think because of that they were able to stay pretty patient.”

With rough starts to all three days, the Wolverines were able to pull things together on the back nine each time. But even with their turnaround performances, the Wolverines dropped from 11th to 12th place after the third round.

“We also learned that we’re not very far off from beating some of the best teams in the country,” Dowling said. “We’ve got some work to do, but we are certainly a lot closer than we think.”