The Michigan men’s track and field team placed first in nine events and boasted 24 personal best performances, safely securing a dominant victory at the Battle of the Blues Invitational.

After leading the Wolverines to a first, second, third and fourth place sweep in 400m hurdles, junior All-American Taylor McLaughlin returned to the track as the third leg of the 4x400m relay.

Running a split of 46.84 seconds, McLaughlin handed freshman Vail Hartman a comfortable lead as he carried the baton across the finish line, giving Michigan a first place finish with a time of 3:11.09. Michigan tallied 91 points, outscoring North Carolina by 22 points and Duke by 48.

For the 400m hurdles, McLaughlin, who finished at 50.86 seconds, headlined the pack and sophomore Roland Armateifo, freshman Noah Candy and freshman Sean Marshall followed in second, third and fourth, respectively.

In throws, senior All-American Joseph Ellis posted an impressive final hammer throw at 70.15m — nearly four meters further than his personal best. Freshman Manning Plater debuted strongly, placing first in discus, second in hammer throw and second in shot put.

A few Michigan athletes scored points in the jumping events, most notably junior Nicholas Burkhalter placing first in pole vault with a height of 4.78m.

The Wolverines scored most of their points in the distance events. Sophomore Anthony Berry took 1st in 1500m at 3:47.78, and senior Micah Beller led another sweep by taking first in 3000m with time 8:13.71. Following Beller, senior Billy Bund finished second and fifth-year senior Aaron Baumgarten finished third.

Although the Wolverine distance runners dominated, it was expected, as Michigan focuses a significant effort to recruiting top distance talent for both track and field and cross country.