Michigan continues to dominate, beats Hoosiers

Teresa Mathew/Daily

By Isaiah Zeavin-Moss, Daily Sports Writer

Just 16 minutes into Saturday's game against Indiana, just 59 seconds after the Michigan soccer team’s first goal, sophomore forward Nicky Waldeck stepped up to the penalty spot with a chance to firmly put her team in front.

Waldeck, as she has done all season, buried the chance, rocking the ball past Indiana goalkeeper Sarah Stone. It was her 10th of the season — landing her in second place in the Big Ten scoring race — and gave Michigan a 2-0 lead it never relinquished.

In a dominant performance, the Wolverines consistently kept possession and control of the pace of the game en route a 3-0 victory.

The Wolverines’ first scored 15 minutes into the game when freshman forward Ani Sarkisian sent a well-placed ball through to sophomore Madisson Lewis, who knocked the ball past the Indiana goalkeeper into the bottom left corner of the net.

After her penalty kick, Waldeck was at it again, starting a fierce rally Michigan counter attack just two minutes into the second half,

Waldeck poked the ball free from an attacking Indiana player and passed it to Sarkisian, who then supplied Waldeck with a perfectly weighted ball into the left side of the penalty box. Waldeck crossed it to sophomore midfielder Jessica Heifetz, who beat the Hoosier goalkeeper and knocked it home from just a few yards out.

The Hoosiers (1-7-1 Big Ten, 5-9-1 overall) were unable to spark any attack throughout the ninety minutes – freshman goalkeeper Megan Hinz didn’t have to record a single save. The Wolverines, though, harassed the Hoosiers net, firing seven shots on goal and winning six corner kicks.

Michigan (7-1-0, 11-3-0) continues a recent string of strong play has landed it in a tie with Penn State for first place in the Big Ten. The Nittany Lions come to Ann Arbor this Thursday in a game that will help determine the conference landscape for the rest of the season.

Michigan coach Greg Ryan is still preaching the need for unity, as he did in the beginning of the season. But now, he’ll stay more content with where his group is at this point in the season. After Saturday’s performance against the Hoosiers, who can blame him?