Alec Cohen/Daily.  Buy this photo.

The Michigan baseball team announced its 44-game, conference-only schedule last Sunday. Opening Day is scheduled for Mar. 5, when the Wolverines will begin a four-game series with Iowa in Round Rock, Texas. 

Besides a lack of non-conference opponents, the 2021 season looks different from other campaigns in three ways: games won’t be open to the public, it won’t include a Big Ten tournament and it will feature “multi-team weekend series featuring games against two schools,” Athletic Director Kurt Svoboda said in a statement. 

Michigan’s first homestand, scheduled for Mar. 19, will be a multi-team series against Illinois and Michigan State. 

The Wolverines’ 2020 season was canceled before they faced any Big Ten opponents. In 2019, Michigan went 16-7 against conference foes, winning every series except those against Ohio State, Indiana and Nebraska. The Wolverines will get chances at revenge, hosting the Buckeyes from April 9-11 and the Hoosiers from May 14-16 and traveling to Lincoln for a series against the Cornhuskers from May 28-30. 

Michigan destroyed Michigan State in the teams’ most recent series, winning by scores of 6-3 and 16-2. Besides two games in Michigan’s home-opening weekend, the in-state rivals will meet in East Lansing for a three-game series from May 7-9.