The Michigan men’s basketball team’s next opponent may come into Crisler Center owning a one-win record, but John Beilein has urged his team not to take Saturday’s foe lightly.

Maryland Eastern Shore put George Washington, Colorado State and Central Florida in tough spots down the stretch of their matchups, and Beilein wants to ensure his team is on notice not to find itself in the same situation.

“This is probably one of the better of the ‘guarantee games’ we’ve had,” Beilein said. “(Maryland Eastern Shore) has really played a tougher schedule. We’re going to approach it the same way we’ve approached the last few games. There’s one game on the schedule. It’s tomorrow at three o’clock. And we’ll do the best that we can.”

The Hawks don’t boast any explosive scorers, but two of their starters will test the Wolverines on the perimeter. Junior Ryan Andino is Maryland Eastern Shore’s sharpshooter from 3-point land, leading his team with 45 percent shooting from behind the arc and co-leading the Hawks with 14 points per game.

Senior forward Bakari Copeland is Maryland Eastern Shore’s other 14-point-per-game scorer. Copeland shoots 41 percent from the field and isn’t afraid to take threes. He’ll be a dual threat Michigan defenders will have to keep tabs on, as Copeland has shown the ability to play both inside and outside on the wing.

TRANSITION TROUBLES: One area the Wolverines hope to address in their final two non-conference games is transition offense. In its loss against UCLA, Michigan forced the Bruins into committing eight turnovers, but scored just six points off them.

The Wolverines feel confident they can find points when their half-court offense is in gear, but believe they need to add another dimension of scoring to break down Big Ten defenses more effectively.

“I think we’ve proven we can score in the half-court,” said redshirt junior guard Duncan Robinson. “But I think when we can be really good is when we can get out, get easy baskets, and just transition to open looks — layups and that sort of stuff. I think it adds an element to our game that I don’t think we’ve exercised recently.”

In Michigan’s wins over Indiana in the Big Ten Tournament and Tulsa in the NCAA Tournament’s First Four last year, the Wolverines forced a combined 26 turnovers that created 42 points on the other end. Those key points may have made the difference for Michigan’s last-minute wins in both contests.

But the Wolverines may need to lean on their defense to get their transition offense up to speed. Michigan couldn’t come up with the stops against the Bruins, and that prevented the Wolverines from being able to run the floor and have opportunities to score in transition.

“We’re trying to develop a little bit of a rhythm on both ends of the floor,” Robinson said. “We had a bit of a hiccup against UCLA defensively. Obviously they’re a talented team, but we’re trying to get back to being able to guard people and being tough to play against on defense.”

TALKIN’ ‘BOUT PRACTICE (SQUAD): Beilein also gave updates on three players on Michigan’s practice squad, who are either redshirting or sitting out due to the NCAA transfer rule.

Senior guard Andrew Dakich is planning on using his redshirt to save his final season of eligibility for a potential grauduate-transfer opportunity. Dakich has tried to redshirt in the past, but due to injuries at the guard position the last two seasons, his redshirt was burnt. Beilein believes Dakich’s time on the practice squad has made him a better player and will make him attractive to teams at his level looking for a graduate transfer.

“He’s really played well in practice,” Beilein said. “As a result of playing that amount, in a Division II or low Division I, he could get his Master’s degree and have it paid for.”

Beilein also touched on the contributions of freshman forward Austin Davis and sophomore guard Charles Matthews. Both have handled the workload of the practice team impressively, and Beilein indicated that he believes Davis and Matthews are a big part of the Wolverines’ future.

Davis has especially grown in his role on the practice squad. Beilein said Davis’ shot-blocking ability is much better than the coaching staff ever anticipated, and is excited to see how his instincts around the rim can add to the team.