The Michigan men’s basketball team will instead play Toledo on Dec. 9 at 6 PM at Crisler Center, replacing the matchup with NC State. Toledo is 3-2 on the season so far and expected to be one of the top teams in the MAC. 

The game was scheduled after the postponement of the Wolverines match-up against NC State which was postponed due to COVID-19 concerns within the Wolfpack’s program. The news was first reported by Brendan Quinn of The Athletic.

“Far too often have I had to say we are all living in unprecedented times,” Michigan coach Juwan Howard said in a press release. “Our main concern is the health and safety of (NC State) coach (Kevin) Keatts, his players as well as all of those within the N.C. State program. It is unfortunate we have to postpone this ACC/Big Ten Challenge matchup. It would have been fun. However, we must do what is right, and this is the right thing to do for everyone.”

By scheduling a game with Toledo, the Wolverines will reach the NCAA-prescribed limit of 25 games with five non-conference games and a 20-game conference slate. That means the door to playing NC State would presumably be closed.

The Wolfpack had their game against Connecticut, scheduled for Saturday, canceled due to a positive test within the NC State travelling party at the Mohegan Sun Resort. The positive test was initially detected on Friday after previous rounds of negative testing. Michigan was initially scheduled to play in the multi-team event in Uncasville, Conn. but bowed out.

The Wolverines were slated to battle the Wolfpack as a part of the annual ACC-Big Ten Challenge. It’s the second contest in the Challenge to be canceled, joining the Louisville-Wisconsin game which was called off due to COVID concerns in Louisville’s program. 

Michigan said in the release that as of now, it has no COVID-19 issues.