Allison Engkvist/Daily. Buy this photo.

Senior guard Chaundee Brown has been granted an NCAA waiver for immediate eligibility for the 2020-21 season. The news was first reported by The Athletic’s Brendan Quinn. 

“First and foremost, whew! I am so thankful and truly blessed for the NCAA, the Big Ten, Michigan and Coach (Juwan) Howard for giving me this opportunity,” Brown said in a press release. “I also want to thank Wake Forest, Coach (Danny) Manning and all the administrators and fans in Winston-Salem, (N.C.) for giving me three unforgettable years. While it took some time, and while I was prepared for any outcome, you cannot believe the smile and how grateful I am.

“Since my arrival in Ann Arbor, I have been welcomed with open arms. I was ready to do whatever I could to help us succeed either on or off the court. All I know is I cannot wait to put that maize and blue jersey on and play with this group of guys.”

Brown originally transferred to Michigan from Wake Forest in May. A 6-foot-5 wing player, Brown was Wake Forest’s third-leading scorer last season with 12.1 points per game and also added 6.5 rebounds per game, the second-highest mark on the team. 

From a leadership perspective, Brown, who drew 74 starts across three seasons at Wake Forest in the ACC, also brings a wealth of experience to the table. With Michigan having lost co-captains Zavier Simpson and Jon Teske to graduation in May, Brown stands to bring instant credibility to Michigan’s locker room. 

With Brown in fold, the Wolverines will feature one of the premier groups of wing players in the nation, with Brown, sophomore forward Franz Wagner and senior forward Isaiah Livers. He figures to play a prominent role in Michigan’s rotation. Though not a traditional shooting guard, he could receive time there, especially as last year’s starting shooting guard, Eli Brooks, transitions into a more ball-dominant role. 

“We are indebted to everyone involved in this process,” Michigan coach Juwan Howard said in a press release. “From (Athletic Director) Warde (Manuel) to (Compliance Officer) Elizabeth (Heinrich) and to everyone at Wake Forest, we are appreciative. We are certainly in unprecedented times; however, having a player with Chaundee’s experiences, skill set and leadership only adds to our versatility and depth this season.”