Of all the words Michigan women’s golf coach Jan Dowling could have used to describe sophomore Emily White’s performance at the Yale Women’s Intercollegiate, where Michigan claimed third overall out of 16 teams and White captured the individual championship, “imagination” was the first that popped into her head.

“This course requires a lot of imagination around the greens,” Dowling said. “And (White) really used her imagination to hit some great shots and execute them really well.”

White, a top performer from the Wolverines’ successful weekend, remained consistent throughout all three rounds of the tournament, shooting a 70, 71 and 70. The sophomore, frustrated early with her putting, showed resilience and patience in letting other shots carry her until the putts began to fall.

“I was playing well all week, my putts just weren’t dropping,” White said. “I knew that if I kept hitting big shots eventually … something was going to happen.”

Something did happen as White, down four strokes in singles competition after the second round, came roaring back to tie Clemson freshman Lauren Stephenson in the third round, eventually winning the individual championship in a two-hole playoff. 

White attributes her success so far this season to vigorous training over the past year.

“I practiced a ton this summer,” White said. “I worked on my putting, because I struggled with (it) a lot before. That (practice) helped me a lot, especially on the last three holes.”

Just as White found success on The Course at Yale, her team rallied around her to shoot a combined score of 878, 10 strokes behind ultimate tournament champion Furman, but good enough for a third-place finish. Top Michigan performers included White (211, 2-under) and sophomores Megan Kim (220, 7-over) and Kathy Lim (222, 9-over). 

Dowling attributed her team’s strong finish to overall resiliency and trust in each other.

“It was a true team effort, that’s for sure,” Dowling said. “We made some bogies (in round two) … but we made a couple of minor adjustments (in round three), and we just dug deep.”

The Wolverines combined for a score of 286 in the third round, leading all teams in the tournament, an improvement from the East and West Match Play Challenge two weeks ago, when Michigan lost close contests to Oregon and Indiana, finishing fourth out of eight teams.

Another bright spot came in the form of freshman Elodie Van Dievoet, who recovered from a first-round score of 81 to record a personal best 72 in the second round on her way to shooting an overall score of 229. Van Dievoet, playing as an individual, finished tied for 31st after the final day.

“(Van Dievoet) gained some great experience,” Dowling said. “Her second round was impressive, particularly on the golf course we just played.”

With an excellent effort today, Dowling doesn’t feel any major changes need to be made in preparation for the coming weeks, including the Las Vegas Showdown on October 25.

“I think each player has some minor adjustments,” Dowling said. “(But) we know exactly what we need to do to win in Las Vegas.”